ACL surgery brought forward but now I'm in doubt

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ACL surgery brought forward but now I'm in doubt

Post by Sarahloo »

Cam Atis wrote:
Rory's Dad wrote: Dictating a dogs weight bases solely on his/her height is extremely unscientific and can be downright dangerous.
I beg to differ. Actually the reverse is TRUE.
Since Rory's Dad used the word "solely", the reverse can't be true. Since he said solely, he is covered :) , and correct, of course!

I don't remember calling Cassie athletic. Loo is athletic. Looking at Cassie though, there is no reason to expect a heavily-built Chow, no matter what you've been told about her ancestors. Long legs, open face, ... medium built at most, I would say. I don't think you're right when you say that you can change a dog's inborn body-type by dieting. If Cassie had the same body-type as her "Champion" ancestors, she would look the part, thick, short legs, smushed-in face, ... If a heavily-built dog is dieted down to weighing what a medium built chow does, he still looks the same, except with loose skin and ribs sticking out.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Hmm I dunno Cam, she looks like my Ty does only smaller and younger. I guess we'll see when she gets older. I worry about Ty's weight all the time because you can't see the waist as easily from the top, you can from the side, and his stomach tucks up and is nice and tight. His ribs can be felt, but not super easily because of the fur and maybe a little fat? He still free feeds because some days he'll eat almost nothing and another day he'll eat alot. He's super finicky and our schedules rotate so it's easier to let him free feed. He gets at least one walk daily, sometimes 2 to 3 depending on the day and schedule and usually has almost an hour of play time most days with his best bud who's favorite game is to run. Ty can actually keep up with him and has good stamina. Sorry to hijack the post. I did want to measure him at the shoulders but I can't get a height on him because he doesn't like the tape measurer lol
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

None of your posts talked about common sense. They simply said if the chow is of a certain height, he/she should weigh a certain amount, with no consideration to *Censored Word* or build. Females will be lighter at a certain height, and all Chows will vary dependent on style or muscle build. By your formula, a typical asian style Chow should weigh more because he is taller than a US style dog, even though the US style dog is shorter and has a lot more muscle mass. In case you missed it, muscle weighs more than fat.

That common sense aside, you suggest that the dogs weight to health ratio is based on the dogs behavior? I specifically selected my dog as a young pup based on his activity level. I wanted a calm, relaxed, and friendly chow, which is what i have. How, exactly, does that relate to his weight?

Again, my point is, you cant simply assign a proper weight to a height. There is much more to consider. You can disagree all you want, but to dismiss it as something as something that people, in general, who do not have no medical backgrounds cant understand, is ridiculous.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Tychowgirl, that is what I am hoping for Cassie. To be active no matter how she will turn out to be. Being burdened by unnecessary weight will be a disadvantage. Like Sarahloo said, it also depends on the built as well as age of the dog.
Let's hope that Hugo will see some improvements should he shed a few kilos in the future. He is overweight. I dont think his present weight 27kg complements his medium sized built. It is too much to be carried by his frame. His skin also is stretched by now and undoubtedly will hang loose a little once he slimmed down like what Sarahloo described. But like I said, it shall be helping him if he goes down to at least 23kg.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@Rory's Dad. We don't see eye to eye.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

well that is true regardless, but your last post supports everything that i have said to you in my posts.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

NO I dont support anything that you said in your posts with this thread. You got it all wrong. I dont base the weight on dog's behavior how can you think that?! I was referring to the behavior when the dog's portion is lessened. Gotta look for his activity level. I dont wanna go into details point by point with you. If I have listened to you I would not have gotten Cassie because you misjudged her having worms, and the breeder. I dont wanna pick up a fight. Dont think I agree with you. I DON'T. we usually don't.
IT IS THE HEIGHT that this RELATIVELY easy to assess and i am not there to actually see Hugo and I am not even a vet (but so are you) so do we measure width? Do we measure head circumference? Even the jaw? Or rib cage? Do we want an xray to assess the bone mass? These are the discretions of a vet and I dont go there.
We are just talking about loosing some weight. Now if you think 27kg is alright on a 17.5inch tall medium sized chowchow (Medium as against to small, medium, large breed of dogs. ) that to me is unscientific. It is just not fit.
I dont wanna reply anymore as this will become another "out of this topic" thread but your assertion that I agree with you or at least NOD, NO I DON'T. I cant over emphasize my disagreement with you.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

just to add my two penneths worth.....when requiring a dog to loose weight or gain weight I have always been told to only change amount of food by 10% either way.
to access if a dog is under/over weight I have always judged by the way the dog looks to the eye and feeling around their ribs. hind quarters, chest etc. and have not judged by what they weigh. The weight is important for a indicator to show you if the increase/decrease is working.

take me for example, i weigh much more than what most people think i weigh when they look at me, and i certainly don't need to loose weight, i must have heavy bones.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

now i certainly would never comment on the ladies build, but i do agree with your assessment for the dog.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I agree with Sara about adjusting food quantities. I should probably weigh the food rather than volume, but just slight changes are all that is needed. I feel the ribs as an indication, and use the dog's weight as a reference.