Vitamin E for CHow Chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tamahomi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Vitamin E for CHow Chow

Post by Tamahomi »

Is it safe to give our chows Vitamin E everyday? Can anybody tell me cause I'm planning to give my Tamahomi vitamin e aside from what he regularly eat. Thank you all in advance.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Vitamin E for CHow Chow

Post by Rio »

I would not know if it is safe, (your vet would be the person to speak to) but I do know that most commercial dog foods have a varying degree of vitamins in there already.
Maybe you could find foods that are high in Vitamin E instead. I think spinach and sweet potato are good sources, but I would still check with your vet.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yes it is safe for Tamtam or any dog. Use the 100iu not the 400iu.
Know though that vitamin A and E are oil soluble vitamins, therefore the excess that the body don't need, they are stored in the body fats and would be released into the body later when needed. Sort of like a sustained-released drug. Now it seemed nice to hear such a kind of vitamins that won't go to waste, but they can be toxic if too much of an amount is stored in the body fats as a result of giving too much of an amount. Vitamin A is known to kill even if you got your vitamin A from eating a whole liver of a bea and not from a capsuled form
Vitamin B and C are water soluble so any excess amount will be secreted or go out with the urine.

You dont have to give Tam a daily dose. You can space it. Like every other day. Lowest dose of 50iu. If it shows in the vitamins you are giving him (multi-vit), no need to give a separate pure one. The thing is vit e is good for the hair and skin. So does omega 3 oil known to make your brain sharper (which recently they are taking back again)
The vit e facts has been around for ages so you are safe in it as a good antioxidant. But A HUGE amount is not good anyway.

Keyword: may (as in: it may help in strengthening hair follicles) = it may. It did not say iT will.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cam Atis wrote:Vitamin A is known to kill even if you got your vitamin A from eating a whole liver of a bea
bea should be bear.
Tamahomi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tamahomi »

Rio : yeah, I will go and check first with my vet. I'll be bringing my dogs later to the clinic. My Shih doesnt eat enough. I dont know. He just likes to be fed with my hands.

Cam : I think you're a Vet. Aren't you? Haha. Cuz Ive heard it when my colleague at work gives her dogs vitamin E cuz she said it's, yeah, as what you said, it's good for their fur and skin. and I was puzzled, why not try it to my dogs.

Thank you Guys! Happy Chow DAY!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Sorry, but no idea.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I'm a pharmacist. :)
Tamahomi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tamahomi »

Cam Atis wrote:I'm a pharmacist. :)
That's why ... We've got a Doc here. Thanks Cam Atis
astonblake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by astonblake »

Rats were fed a standard chow, Vit E-supplemented diet, or Vit E-deficient diet and subjected to surgically induced IOP elevation (or sham surgery) for five weeks. The retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) were subjected to retrograde fluorescent tracer labeling...
Thats a vitamin for a chow....
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@ashton blake: ??? Make that clear please. You are just babbling terminologies.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

astonblake wrote:Rats were fed a standard chow, Vit E-supplemented diet, or Vit E-deficient diet and subjected to surgically induced IOP elevation (or sham surgery) for five weeks. The retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) were subjected to retrograde fluorescent tracer labeling...
Thats a vitamin for a chow....
I agree with Cam, please explain :!: :?