Taking chow camping?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Taking chow camping?

Post by chica_2626 »

Hello,

My joint-custody chow is going on a weekend camping trip with my ex. The forecasted temperature is mid-80s all weekend. How concerned about heat stroke should I be? They will be camping in a heavily wooded area so there should be lots of shade, and obviously there will be plenty of water to keep him well hydrated. He is a black chow so him being in direct sunlight for a length of time would obviously be a concern. I know chows love hiking and being in the woods but would an entire weekend away from the air-conditioned comfort of home be too much? Or am I being too much of a worrywart (as I tend to be...) and just make sure he takes lots and lots of water?

Thanks,
Rachel
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Taking chow camping?

Post by Sarahloo »

My biggest concern about camping would be him getting a chance to run off. That's what Loo would do! :-)
I'm not sure if I converted the temperature correctly, but if I did, then that is quite hot for a black Chow. He should we fine ambling about in the shade, napping next to the tent, that sort of thing, lots of rest and relaxation, but I think it's too hot for any serious hiking. If he likes that sort of thing, maybe your ex could find him lots of puddles, maybe even a lake, to jump into every now and then.

That being said, it's my dream to take Loo camping. He would have sooo much fun! As you said, they love the out-of-doors so much!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Its sounds wonderful, can I come too?
I would imagine that as long as there is plenty of shade and the hiking isn't in open terrain too much and of course there is access to water then I would say it sounds like a dream Chow vacation. You are allowed to worry, when your baby is away. It's the law, well it should be.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

80F is 27C and 85F is 30C....My two are black and do fairly well in warm weather. Ursa will lie down if she gets hot and just won't walk any more. She will find shade. Malachi does a bit better. If we go some place, they will let me know it is time to head for home. In the van, Ursa will get between the seats in front of the ac console vent, and Malachi will grab the passenger's seat. When they are home, they will check out in the shade of one of the bushes or find the shade of the porch. As long as there is not a lot of walking and enough shade and water they will be fine.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

I feel better after reading this. They won't be doing much hiking, they'll primarily just be hanging out around the campsite. I am trying to have faith that everything will be just fine. My ex is very responsible and knows what to do if he gets over heated. He said he'll probably dunk him in the stream or something a couple times just to be sure he's staying cool, boy I wish I was there to see that! J.D. is NOT a water fan whatsoever. You'd think we were abusing him the way he whines when he gets a bath. But it's for his own good!

Oh and he'll be on a lead line attached to a tree so he can roam but not run off. He's very well behaved about coming when called, but if he sees a rabbit he is going to be gone in a flash, and then realize once he's far away that he wants to be back. LOL.