Random Limping...

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Random Limping...

Post by trry »

Hello,
Well I am back again a little quick history on my chow, he is over 9months now and he is awesome! However, lately I notice after he lays down he would stand up and walk he would have a limp. It would go away after a few minutes but it worries me since that has never happened before. I know chow chows are prone to hip dysplasia. He is my first 4 legged pet and I could be over reacting but I don't know whether or not it should be warranted but is this typical after chows lay down for a ~15min and get up limp for a few minutes?

Thanks!
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Random Limping...

Post by Rio »

I am no expert but when Rio has been sleeping for a while when he wakes up he does on occasion (if he hasn't changed position whilst sleeping) have a little limp, but it goes after a few minutes. I think he must get pins and needles or something.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Limping is never normal in a dog. Have him checked by the local vet in your place. Watch his weight. Dont let him get too fat. And you say random? What is his weight and height by the way? We can control their weight gain as it is easier than to control their move whenever they are excited. At 9 months, you can fairly see her final height as it not far from what her height is now. So assessing the ideal weight is also easier.

I dieted Cassie since she turned 3 months old and she weighed only 10kg (22lbs) at 5.5 months, her height is 16 inches at the shoulders now that she is 6 months and 1 week.
She runs like crazy hurling through obstacles (angular bars of my water tank being constructed, rocks and some timbers) with a knack. I am happy to see her very active and I dont worry much as she doesn't have too much weight burden on her knee and hip joints.
Chow master
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow master »

Hey
Okay well I was thinking it was possible that the leg might have just fallen asleep while sleeping. Its kinda what Rio said maybe it was still too long and it just needs time to wake up the muscle. But if this keeps recurring then I would take him to the vet and have him checked out.

I hope everything goes well!!!
~chow master