Tear Stains?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Tear Stains?

Post by kitten1426 »

Our female chow is starting to get them...what s the best things to use to get rid of the stain?..I really dont like they way they look any help would be great thanks.....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Tear Stains?

Post by Rio »

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/
Can't say if it works.
Andria
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tear Stains?

Post by Andria »

Eye Envy works very well on my Maltese. Been using it for years...it's safe and easy to use...I purchase from my groomer about 3 times a year at $28 a pop
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I only ever used a wet wash cloth to clean Tippsy's... Of course she was a deep, dark red and it didn't show after being cleaned that way.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have heard that angle eyes works, but I have not used it. Andria is probably correct, since I know it is a problem with some Maltese. Yoda, our white cat, and Chelsea, our silver Persian along with Cleo, our gray Yokiepoo have this issue. Like Tippsy's mom, a wet wash cloth works wonders.
Trooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trooper »

Trooper gets them - use touch of no tear baby shampoo on warm wet cloth - just in case some irritant or dirt present.
tasymac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tasymac »

# 120-gram bottle of tear stain-remover for dogs
# Effectively eliminates tear stains from the inside out
# Sprinkle on food daily to start; results from 3 to 5 weeks
# Safe during pregnancy and for puppies over 6 weeks old
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Just read an article about tear-stains, apparently certain additives in dog food can cause them, the only one I can remember is beet-pulp. I will try and find the article and see what else it said. Not hopeful though I do a lot of researching on the web daily, needle in haystack springs to mind!!!!
coleena
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleena »

I have a 4 month old cream chow, and started out just using a wet washcloth twice a day, but wasn't helping much. I have since bought some Petkin Jumbo eye wipes (all natural) and these seem to work a bit better than just the water and cloth. I find if I wipe last thing at night the stains are virtually all gone by the next morning but then back again by mid morning!

After researching I found that Boric acid is often recommended by vets, and is an ingredient in many of the eye stain remover solutions available. If I have further problems with his eyes I may try one of those products. Would have the added benefit of antibacterial too, which I'm thinking would help combat that smell that goes with gunky eyes.

Eye envy as someone else mentioned seems to get pretty good reviews so could also be worth a try. ShowEyes was also recommended to me but unfortunately we can't get it here in New Zealand. Comes in both solution and wipes.

Some of the others on the market are ingested and contain antibiotics. Not something I would try myself, although said to be quite effective.

Hope this helps!