Flea and Tick Control for My Furr Kids

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sjeane01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flea and Tick Control for My Furr Kids

Post by sjeane01 »

My Rennie is 16 months old and Princess( Pookie is her nick name) is 13 Months . I was at first using Comfortis and another medication combined to take care of fleas, ticks and heart worms. I then switched to Trifexis as it was less expensive. However Trifexis did not agree with my kids as it gave them diarreah. So on the advise of my vet I switched to the shot for heart worms that lasts 6 months and a flea collar( that is supposed to last 6 months) The flea collar on her did not even last a week as it broke. There goes $36.00 down the drain.

Are there other pet parents of Chows that can give me an idea of what to use for prevention of fleas and ticks. Topicals do not work either as they have too much hair and i cannnot get it down to the skin.

I had read that garlic was good so I was using a spray to put in their food and then I heard that it would cause them to have anemia so I discontinued. I have my babies bathed once a month at the animal clinic. 2 reasons, one they stay inside a lot but do go outside and I want them to stay clean. Another reason is that they have bonded with the lady that gives the baths and takes care of the kennels.They absolutely adore her ( this is to make sure that if I need a mini vacation that I will have a place to leave them
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flea and Tick Control for My Furr Kids

Post by bellachow »

With Bella & Chumley I use Heartguard chewables monthly & Frontline Plus topical. I have found that I dont have a problem reaching their skin with the frontline if I take the grooming brush and use it to brush back the hair then apply the stuff to their skin.
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

For all my dogs past, including our Chow Tess, I gave them Brewer's Yeast - in California I gave them the tablets. In Montana - the Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast Buds. I include it in my diet too. Keeps the mosquitos away. Never had any fleas on any of my dogs or on Tess.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

comfortis is the only thing that seems to work because I do not want to pet, hug and kiss my girl with a topical insecticide on her fur. Everytime you pet your dog you have a poisonus chemical on your hands. No flea collars either. It is just a shame vets want $90 for 6 tablets, between the vets and the drug companies they give us a bath with the cost.Heartgard cost me $104 for 12 tabs and big deal they sent me a rebate for $15. Too bad we can't go on strike against the theives.I save about $30 getting the Comfortis from Australia.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I use comfortis.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix