Zoeys' fur is not growing back

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Zoeys' fur is not growing back

Post by wokman »

Six months ago my blue ten and a half year old female Chow had spinal surgery after her back legs gave out. After a long recovery she is back to her old self. Part of the therapy involved the use of a low intensity laser on her back where the surgery had been preformed. I told her new Vet. that I thought the lack of fur growth might be from the laser, she thought it might be a thyroid problem. The Vet. issued Zoey, Dermoscent, Essential 6, spot-on too help the fur grow back. Is the Vet. leading me on; should I ask for a thyroid check before I use the topical product; or could my laser theory be correct? /:)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Zoeys' fur is not growing back

Post by Ursa's daddy »

CHECK THE THYROID. Ursa has a thyroid condition, and it definitely is responsible for fur growth. I will not mislead you and say that you will be able to get her fur back like it was. I have a pair of rose colored glasses that I use to look at Ursa. She is not the beauty she once was, but I still love her, and let's face it, beauty is less than skin deep and it is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I will be at the Vets' today to pick up food for Zoeys' Pal Leo and make the appointment for a thyroid check. Moth eaten appearance or not; it is hard not too like Zoey; what a talker!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Yes, moth eaten. Ursa looks pretty good in the winter with her winter coat, although her tail looks a bit thin. In the summer when she sheds, she begins to look very moth eaten. You will have to work with medication dosage to stabilize the level of thyroid hormone. I wish Zoey good luck.