Therapy for the young Apollo

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Therapy for the young Apollo

Post by Ylaartim »

We went to the vet earlier this day. Apollo's 5-in-1 booster shots are already complete, for now. Our next sched for his booster shot will be next year. :) his deworm and rabies shots will be due this August. :)

He'll have his kennel cough shot, which I never heard before since Apollo's my 2nd pup, will be next week. :) yehey for us! Atleast now I know Apollo will be healthy and hopefully free from any disease. :)

We decided to perform xray on him to really know the condition of his bad leg. According to the senior vet, he has a splay/ed or spraddle leg (common in Chows and Shihtzus). The ligament on his leg is too short or tight for him to bend it. Therapy is the answer and there's no need yet for an operation.

I asked him that when we 1st got him, he would literally drag his leg for him to walk or run. But now, as I said in my previous post, he walks pretty normally now. No more dragging of his leg. I'm happy that it is developing, that there's improvement. But the vet told me that he might be just adapting.

I would like to have a second opinion from other doctors since Apollo's breeder told me he had a bad leg 'cause his mom accidentally stepped on it. SMH. I don't want to think that the breeder lied to me. I saw her kennel. Apollo's litter was her first. I saw the dam and the sire is a grand champ. Both parents are of champ lineages. Only Apollo has the bad leg.

I don't think Apollo's bad leg will make him less of a champ Chow Chow that he is. Everyone, including dogs, has their own imperfections. And we take it as a blessing in disguise. For us to be a better and more responsible chow parents. :) our only goal now is to make Apollo's bad leg as good as new! He'll start his physical therapy session next Tuesday. I asked if he'll ever recover, the vet said the 1st 2 mos of therapy session will give us the answer. We'll do our best to help Apollo recuperate. He's our baby, the love of our lives! He's our responsibility and we'll do everything and anything for him. :)

Will try to post his video soon, so you can see how we walks. :)

Please do pray for our baby. It'll be a big big help!

Thanks in advance! xx
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Therapy for the young Apollo

Post by Cam Atis »

Cam Atis wrote:Congratulations to your new baby. He just needs from your part extra attention, like dieting so he won't be overweight and no rough playing until the limp will go away as per vet's say.
I hope the breeder is honest and telling you the truth. Anyway, if ever it turned out that it will never heal, he is still fit and you'll be surprised at how agile he will be. Hope you post more photos before you start your school. What's his dad's name? Cassie's grandpa is Ph CH Hodgehead of La Mendoza.
Enjoy Apollo!
Sorry to hear that. My hunch is right as I did breed dogs before and I find the tale of "bitch accidentally stepping over little pup's leg thus, damaging it, and they were also there to witness it" is something I find it hard to believe.
Bitches are ever careful, even tiptoeing around their newborn pups. And one does not keep on watching hour after hour. Champions are not a guarantee of health.

But moving on, I wish Apollo goodluck in his therapy sessions ahead.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Therapy for the young Apollo

Post by Ylaartim »

Thanks, Cam! We'll be better parents than his breeders. :) lol. Regards to your Cassie!