Pre Entropian surgery

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pre Entropian surgery

Post by Hugo »

Hi
My boy Hugo is having his surgery on Tuesday and I'm just wandering if there is anything I ca do either pre or post operatively to help him? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Have a great weekend.
Michelle and Hugo Bear. x
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Pre Entropian surgery

Post by Sarahloo »

No, there isn't really anything you need to do, except stay calm for you and for Hugo.
Make sure that he wears his plastic cone for 12 days. Don't go soft and take it off sooner!!! :twisted: The plastic cone not only prevents him from scratching but also from rubbing his eyes on the floor or on furniture to stop the itching! Make sure they give you pain meds for at least 3 or four days! If he's not in pain he is not going to want to scratch!
If he takes the surgery anything like Loo, he'll be as happy and lively as ever during the recovery! :D Good luck %%- and don't worry, it's really not that big of a deal!
DSCI0472.JPG
DSCI0472.JPG (65.75 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Goodluck Michelle. Regards to Hugo from Blue and Cassie.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Thank you. I have already called the vet twice to check about different things like the inflatable collar instead of the E collar but he has to wear the E collar.
Tuesday here we come.
x
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

How did it go?
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
He had his surgery on Tuesday and came home quite quiet around 5pm and ate well then slept till 1.44am and started banging into everything with that damn cone and whining so I came down stairs and half slept on the couch for the rest of the night (what was left of it). He is on 2 antibiotics 2 x a day for about 10 days and 2 pain killers 1 x day and eye cream 2 x day. The eyes look much better already although crusty and yuck can see an improvement. He is wearing cone quite well except bangs into walls and furniture (that was unable to be shifted). Have to elevate his food bowl for him to eat. He has terrible wind! Suppose from the meds. Go back to vet for check up of stitches ect on Sat. Stitches out 8/6. Will try to post pictures later today. Thanks for asking Sarahloo and for saying to keep the cone on, cause I'm ready to take it off! (But won't). Hugs x
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Hugo wrote: and for saying to keep the cone on, cause I'm ready to take it off! (But won't).
:D :D :D
I'm glad everything went well. And stay strong!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Here are some pics of Hugo.
Attachments
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG (40.59 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG (51.69 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG (39.98 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

oh Hugo! Be a brave boy now. Eveything's gonna be alright and your eye sight will be so much better.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Oh, poor Hugo!!! :-(
Who is the little white angel watching over him?
My legs were black and blue and yellow AND green after Loo's surgery, because he kept ramming the cone into them. Is there anything more painful than a direct hit with the sharp edge of a plastic cone? :-)
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Sarahloo,
That is funny! Yes Hugo keeps ramming us too. Horten is our 3 yr old Spoodle, they are best friends.