Zahra, meds...

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Zahra, meds...

Post by Chowmomma »

OK so lil miss is outsmarting me....I have tried pill pockets, I've tried peanut butter, crushing them up in people food and she will not eat them...got her to do it a few times but seems like the harder I try the smarter she gets and she needs to have her pain meds until she can have surgery

Any ideas??

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Zahra, meds...

Post by reddog »

Talk about pepsi challenges
I have trouble giving Whitby her meds also. The vet suggested that since she doesn't like peanutbutter that I try butter or philadelphia cream cheese. I slather her pill with butter and slip it into her mouth (from the side of her face) then I give her one a her treats. So far that has seemed to work.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie is taking three different medications right now. I have been rolling one pill at a time in cheese. Last night we ran out of cheese so I cut small pieces of hotdogs, stuffed a pill in each piece and so far have had no problems. She doesn't seem to even notice the pills in them.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I tried every trick in the book with my late girl, Tippsy... I ALWAYS had to resort to opening her mouth and shoving the pill way in the back and holding her muzzle shut until she swallowed it... Or else she'd spit it out... :?

I'm so glad Dixie and Jasper will take them with food. They'll even just take the plain pill from me and swallow it down like a small treat. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Oh gosh I tried that shoving down her throat thing and she freaked so bad, ran out dog door and stayed out there, she looked like a rabid dog foaming at mouth! She scared the crap out of me, goofy girl!
pill pockets are working again, phew!
Just biding time till get money for her surgery

However she seems to be putting more weight on leg now which is good....so makes me less freaked out....still needs surgery asap

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Is there a liquid version of the meds? Just a thought or maybe dissolving in drinking water or warm milk? Sounds like you are having a blast (dang the Chow for being such smarty-pants)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I had to give Nikki pills 3 x a day and I would just have her sit and I'd stand behind her kind of straddling her and put them deep in her mouth and hold her jaw shut and rub under her chin that makes them swallow , she became so use to it after a while she just sat there and opened her mouth I didn't have to hold her jaw anymore, just rub her chin and throat..
Her pills could not be bitten into or she foamed at the mouth too..
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

So must be that kind of pill then? Pain meds

Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

Rio wrote:Is there a liquid version of the meds? Just a thought or maybe dissolving in drinking water or warm milk? Sounds like you are having a blast (dang the Chow for being such smarty-pants)
Always a blast with chowbabies lol

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikkis was a anti inflammatory and pain but I remember the dr saying she has to get the whole pill down without chewing or grinding it up or she will foam and the taste is not good. I think it was the piroxicam that was the one. She took tramadol too.. I did use alittle cream cheese too when her tumor got bigger and she had a more difficult time swallowing. I know they say cream cheese isn't great to give but my Vet said what ever she will take it with at this time, just don't give her globs of it 3 x daily ..Just enough to get it to slide down without her biting it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Have a really picky chow here, who eats better than i do...that being said, i like the suggestion of cheese. Rory will only eat American Cheese. We use that for outdoor leash training, and to convince him to come inside on the sunny days...he would lay out in the sun for hours if we let him. But he still has to work for it. He hears the wrapper and comes up to the door, then has to come in, have his collar removed, and do a basic behavior (sit, speak, etc), then he gets the cheese bit. I bet a similar routine would work to get the meds down. With the cheese, probably an 8th of a slice, there is no chewing involved, just a straight on gulp.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I use American cheese for Gracie. I just roll the pill in a strip of cheese. Like Rory's dad said, it's a straight on gulp. When I ran out of cheese one night, I just cut a small piece of a hotdog, stuffed the pill in there and it was the same thing, gulp and the pill was gone. She never knew she just took medication.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Ursa has to have medication every day. We just open her mouth and poke it down her throat. Like Chowpups said about Nikki, she is used to it, and sits down waiting for the pills. Of course, this is before she gets fed, so she is ready to go along with the program. The fish oil caps I give to them just like a treat. I make them sit and wait. Since they think they are getting a treat, it works well.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

She has last three doses taken it well with her pill pocket, just gave her bedtime dose to her, can't wait till this is all over for her and she can get her surgery, I've raised 110 for her thus far and two dog rescue organizations are sending me a check. She is actually putting weight on her leg now so meds are helping