Pacing/Looking for Something? Not herself...

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pacing/Looking for Something? Not herself...

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi All,
Hoping for some feedback, maybe you have run into this scenerio? Maybe it will just happen time to time?
Clover Friday Night, and Now Sunday night (not sat. Night and not during day)
She is Very lovey/needy... Not like her , yes she is lovey but this goes beyond her normal charactr. On the other end of it, seems as though she is looking for something and cannot find it.. Pacing back and forth to the same areas, especially when we go outside on leash to go the bathroom.
Fast panting. She is not hot, she has wat er.... She is not physically hurt, from what I feel and her reaction. Almost burying her head in me..
ANY FEEDBACK, would be great. Noting that this didn't happen during the days, and didn't happen last night.. I cannot find the common denometer... Feel awful just want her to relax and sleep like evry pup should be doing right now.. Of course if this continues throughout the day tmrw, or starts back up again tmrw night, we will go to the vets, but right now- not sure what to think of it.
Thanks
Shannon
Auddymay

Re: Pacing/Looking for Something? Not herself...

Post by Auddymay »

Is she eating and drinking? Is her belly hard, or soft? If it's hard, get her to an emergency vet. That is a sign of torsion. Not trying to scare you, better to be safe than sorry.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi Auddymae,
Thanks for your post. Yes, she is eating and drinking. Belly is normal..Today she is her normal 'chow' self..could care less what I am doing, and where I am in the house, i/o 'glued' to my leg
I appreciate any feedback no matter how scary! I'll keep my eyes open for today....
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I can't make out what you are trying to say. But from little of what I can make out: Clover is pacing, panting and would bury her head between your legs? And this is inside your house? And only during potty time at night?
If it is outside your apartment, where the area is open and she behaved like that, panicky like she is looking for something, shifts and do quick foot work and shifts again, there is something she is sensing. Example is a rat or a mouse or even a dung beetle flying or creeping. Any nocturnal animal or insect whose scent she picks up.
If it is inside your house, perhaps cockroaches in between the walls. But she'll scratch the wall if that's the case.
Other than that, I dont have any knowledge of reason for agitation.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi Cam,
Thanks... sorry for the confusion... it was late last night, and I was typing from my phone... She was pacing inside and out of the house.
When she was inside, it was like she was looking for something, but keep 'looking' or pacing in the same area, if she wasn't pacing, she would want to be right next to me, if not actually laying on some part of me, then trying to nuzzle her head into say the crook of my elbow etc. Very Clingy.
I think though, with the vague information I gave- You explained it... As my sweet potatoes also did this AM.. We have a Mouse...
If I put her actions in context of protecting, this makes sense.
I am going to monitor (of course!) and see what happens.
Since this is our 1st Spring, I did not take into account, that these little simple things could be the issue.
Thanks Again!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yes, if the behavior isn't constant she's hearing and/or smelling some critter somewhere and she doesn't know what it is and what to do about it. We just moved and my two are getting used to all the different smells and there is something about the heaters their don't like at all, my girl will sniff and sniff there and then spend the next 5 minutes sneezing! Hopefully by this next winter when they turn the heat back on what ever it is will be gone.

Chows are guarders and hunters by nature so anything they don't recognize in their environment will make them react in some way.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Is the mouse an intruder or a pet? If the mouse is an unwelcome guest , it is in the area where your Chowie indicates . I used to help my Cookie kill the rat she was trying to externinate by turning or moving the things or furnitures where she smelled them or at least flush the vermin from the other side so Cookie can get at it when it ran. These are usually outside of the house. I knew everytime that a game was afoot once I heard her running to and fro knocking everything in her path. Reason I help her is to prevent her knocking more things outside as she is a large dog and very springy. I'd say your Chowie is an alert dog. Not complacent. Thats a good character
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi Cam,
Intruder.....
I do have to say though, The mouse will be gone (hopefully) by tomorrow! Our house is almost 100 yrs old.. so sometimes it will happen..I do not have tolerance for it, and trap will be set tonight.. I DO have to remember that this is her natural instinct, and she is very smart... I think I am the one who needs to simplify my thinking... and remember Miss Clovers natural instincts!
Thanks!!