Demodex - what a b*tch!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Demodex - what a b*tch!

Post by MissV »

so - it looks like my poor dogs mange is coming back. I've booked to see the vet this afternoon. Not sure if its secondary skin infections now or the mange. Whatever it is - im so bleak and I feel so bad for my dog.
Over the easter weekend, i spent 2 whole hours sitting under the shower in all my clothes trying to show her that water wasnt scary and getting her to come to me. 2 hours later - and after much deliberation - and loads of beef jerky and praise she decided to step into the shower with me and let me bath her.
That was the most progress i had ever made with her - and now - all those hours in the shower getting her used to the water are all going to be in vain if i have to start dipping her again.

I've almost regained her trust, shes been the happiest most amazing dog with me in the past 2 months without the stress of dipping. We gave up on puppy school so I could take all the time in the world to work on her walking and recalls... we've been inseperable and now this!

Here we go again. Its like I just started to build a house and a tornado has taken it away.
DAMN YOU, DEMODEX!!!!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Demodex - what a b*tch!

Post by Cam Atis »

Sorry to hear that.
Demodectic mange is hard to cure as even 2 microscopic mites were left alive, they can eventually come back and start a colony over again. they burrow deep into the skin thus hard to cure.
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

Both my chow boys had mange as puppies. It was so sad really. There was no dipping done here. Just Demodex and frequent appointments with our vet. Many dollars and many visits later...they were cured. This happened when they were just a few months old. They are three now and so happy to say it has never returned. It was a very long process, though, that I remember. All the pups in the litter got it and even the mother. Our vet says the mother was too young to have puppies and hers and the puppies immune systems were not developed.... One of the people who took one of these adorable puppies was so upset by the mange that she brought the pup to the pound!!!!!!! When I heard this, I got a picture of my Butchie (at his worst) and a picture when he was cured and brought it to the shelter. I wanted them to know that this condition was curable and the result was beautiful. The people at the shelter kept the pics and they, themselves, took care of the pup until she was ready for adoption. Good luck to you...and keep us updated.
Valerry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Valerry »

I totally feel you.

My chow's suffering the same illness and this is her first time. We had to let the vet's suggestion to shave her fluffy fur in order to make the treatment's effect heal her disease. They say this is a long process and I had to pour my patience on this. I don't know how long it will take for my Chow to suffer. What else should I do with this? She's my 16th birthday gift and my first ever dog. It just hurts to see her in this condition. And she's just 5 months old! :cry: