Mochi no!!! OUCH. >.<

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

camickey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mochi no!!! OUCH. >.<

Post by camickey »

So this is my problem with Mochi, my chow chow. When I first got him, he's so sweet and quiet. He would just sleep and let anyone touch him. He was with me for two days and because I still have to go to school, and no one will take care of him in our house, I decided to leave him temporarily with my boyfriend. He was still like that, until I got him again. Now, he's been biting things and people for unknown reasons. Even my cousin's shi tzu(7 months) was afraid of him because he's been chasing her and biting her tail. My cousin told me and demonstratde to me how to discipline a dog if he/she made a mistake. By hitting his snout, because her shi tzu was afraid of being hit. But still he would just ignore being hit! I will even tell him not to bite anyone and anything because it's bad and yet he won't listen. :( So please tell me how will I discipline him?

Second, there were tapeworms that has been coming out from his rectum/anus. I took him at the vet a while ago and they gave him some tablet for deworming. Does it also happen to your chow chow? Do you think it will heal? or Is it a bad case? :(

And finally! I I bought him since the person at the pet store said he was pure breed. That time, we still didn't know what a pure breed chow chow looks like. He has dark violet tongue and he's 2 1/2 months old now. Please tell me if he's a pure breed or not. -___-

Thanks in advance! :) Ohh. Here are some of his pictures.

mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Mochi no!!! OUCH. >.<

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

Purebreed? DOcuments is actually a guarrantee that tells you if a dog is pure or not. Otherwise, You'll have to wait until he's full grown and mature--- then try to compare him with the other chow, are their features alike?

Puppies look cute and quite deceiving. I got some suggestions from my friend who breed dogs, and they told me that when you try to check and get a good quality puppies, it's best that you check on their parents 'coz that's how they should eventually look like when they grow up. Again, papers play a huge role on this, or if the dog doesn't have any, you'll have to wait until he's over a year old then you'll see. :P

But does it matter if he's pure or not? He's your dog now, and he'll always be! once you decide on a puppy, It's like making a pledge of a lifetime friendship! (well at least this is how it is for me... hehehe. :) ).

For your dog's tape worm problem, good job on rushing him to the vet =D= . Just follow the Vet's recommendations and your dog should be fine. Tapeworms actually come from their food or surroundings. So make sure that your dog's place is clean and so is his food/water. Deworming should be done on his early age to avoid such cases, but since your dog already has it, you'll just have to stick to the medication, then ask your vet what preventive measures can be done at this point. :)
Last edited by mayumiyumei27 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

Though, destroying stuff is bad - I have to agree that yes you have to punish him at some point. But wait, could you have anything that you might be missing out with your puppy? Do you play with him? had a walk on the yard? Some dogs tend to be really this aggressive because of the energy they contain in their bodies, and without enough exercise, they will definitely find a way to let it out! (Like Excessive barking, mess around the house \:D/ , nibble on slippers EtC). how bout giving your dog a walk around the house, practice simple commands like sit, shake hand, etc? This would be enough to consume his energy, and you'll be surprised that right after the activities you've done with him, he'll be laying on the floor asleep. If you don't have the time to this, find some one who has! :cry: Having a dog is like having a baby. It's a big responsibility, and you should be prepared for it.

Nipping and biting around stuff is natural among puppies since they are teething. So I would suggest that you give your dog something to nibble on so he could keep his paws off your living room. There are a couple of treats at stores for dogs that would benefit their dental health and development.

It takes a lot of work but with determination, I'm sure you can handle it! =D=
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

First off, I did breed successfully Dals all pedigreed for 10years. So I can say your pup comes from unscrupulous if you can even call those kind of enterprising individuals as "Breeders". Your puppy shouldnt had worms visible in the *Censored Word* eyes. The dam (mom) must be dewormed even before breeding. Yes you must at least see the mother. And better if you see the stud (father). Then the pup is dewormed at 3weeks and so on. Should have 3-4 deworming before they sell the puP.
I havent bred chows yet as I am a new chow owner (also pedigreed) but as I hae studied the breed and their two types Rough and Smooth Coat , My hunch: your chow's bloodline purity is suspect. By her looks and by the circumstances and worms? How would you trust them to tell you she's pure and apparently dewormed and you saw tapeworms?
Setting these things aside, you must do everything to make your puppy healthy and start now. If she is not pure chow or did not inherit the chow trait of snubbish shyness sensitivity and a feeling of dignity, I can say hitting her in the mouth or snouth will give a positive benefit. BUT! If she is a pure one, DONT hit her, it will never be effective. Chiws respond to gentle yet persistent way of training. They are too dignified to be shouted at and repeatedly stripped of their royal airness will probably result in a shy aggressive dog.
My dals or other breed such as toy terrier/mini pin mix, golden lab mix they can tolerate standard doggy training like hitting the mouth or pulling the lead into their mouth. BUT CHOWS are different. I notIced. Yet they are the most self resPecting dog breed out there.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

camickey, please read through the forum to get tips on training your puppy. Puppies do not know about biting, they learn from their litter mates. It is quite possible that Mochi did not spend enough time with his brothers and sisters to learn all he needs to know. At 2 1/2 months old, he is teething and will chew on everything. Pick up anything you do not want him to chew on and place it where he cannot get it. He does not know anything, and will only learn things if you teach him, so you will have a big part in creating the adult dog he will become. If he nips you, give a high pitched squeal, pull away, stand up, cross your arms, get a sad look on your face, and show him that he has hurt you. Don't hit him. The high pitched squeal and the withdrawal he understands as a sign that you did not like his behavior. His brothers and sisters would have done this also.
You need to teach him how to walk on a leash, and begin to exercise him. This will provide stimulation for him, and allow him to use up some of the energy that he has. It also allows him to interact with you.
Please read through the forum for additional hints and information. Chows have an interesting personality that requires a lot of human input to properly develop. Keep us posted and ask all the questions you need to ask. There are many people here that want to help you develop your dog to be the loving well behaved dog that he can be.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think i would look back at what the vet told you about your pup. He may have been focused on the deworming, but certainly could have made other comments. The worms, while upsetting, should be easily cured with the medication. It says more about his upbringing and kennel conditions than it does about future health.

I would look more toward his other conditions. At 10 weeks, he looks a bit on the smaller side. Naturally this can relate to the worming issue as it costs him the natural proteins and vitamins in his food. In the photos, his ears are dropped and his tail is straight back. The tail could just be based on his lying position, but you should be aware of it. When he stands, it should be fully curled over the center of his spine.

He may very well be a full bred chow, but beyond that, you would want to know the history of his lineage. If unscrupulous people breed two really horrible chow specimens, you get a not so great chow puppy. This is really important from both the physical appearance, but also from the behavioral traits. Chow puppies from either really shy or timid dogs end up with really shy or timid offspring. Same goes for overly aggressive or bold dogs. The best breeders will try to achieve the best physical traits and also make sure the dogs have a positive emotional background.

As others have posted, smacking a Chow on the nose will almost never have a positive result. Based on your original post, I also think that you need to be consistent with Mochi. He needs to understand who is person is, and what his living environment will be. Temporary changes and long term baby-sitters will confuse him and more than likely some of his behavior issues are due to this. If he is your dog, you need to be there with him and for him. Otherwise, he WILL act out.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Cam Atis wrote:Your puppy shouldnt had worms visible in the *Censored Word* eyes.
Is that a worm? OMG!!! That is just horrible! :cry:

How old are you if you're still in school? Are you in a position to financially take care of a dog? Vet bills are expensive, deworming is the cheapest procedure, everything else is going to cost you a lot more!

You bought this little creature, which means that it was bred for you, it was born because you wanted it to be born and now you owe it a wonderful, happy life! Please keep this in mind at all times!
You owe the little creature all the attention that you can give him. You are not on your own any more, he's your responsibility and you can't just pass him onto someone else! You are a parent now! It is a very serious commitment! Your puppy depends on you for everything: his health, his happiness, everything!

You will find out what breed he is as he grows up! It is not at all important right now. All that's important now is his emotional and physical well-being. As long as you are not convinced that he is completely healthy, you need to be a regular visitor at your vet's office!