Going to the vet this afternoon......

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Going to the vet this afternoon......

Post by myboys »

Some of you might remember me bragging about "my boys" Butch and Sundance. They are a chow/lab mix. I have had labs before, so believe me when I tell you....my boys are CHOWS!! They bring me so much joy and I try to never take that for granted. I am going to the vet with Sundance today because he has been throwing up on and off for the past (3) days and while I am there I am going to ask the vet about these "lumps" that he has on his back. My husband has always said they are "fatty deposits" but I am curious..........do your fur/babies have lumps?? Wish us luck, please. Jean
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Going to the vet this afternoon......

Post by Sarahloo »

Good luck! %%- %%- %%-
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

<3 thank you
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Let us know how Sundance makes out!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Redalbi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Redalbi »

Hope all goes okay, thinking of you all let us know how you get on x
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Hope every thing turns out okay, thinking of you and Sundance..
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

When we brought him in yesterday, they took his temp and then did blood work. His temp was 104 and the results of the blood work showed that he did indeed have a tick borne disease/Erlichia. Another name for it is: Anaplasma. It attacks the white blood cells and some of the symptoms are fever, lethargy, vomiting, pain and stiffness, weight loss...you get the idea. The acute pase occurs within the first few weeks of being infected. This disease responds well to treatment with the antibiotic doxycycline, so Sundance has been started on that last night. Three pills a day for a complete month. I believe we got it in this first stage, but the doctor could not confirm that. They didn't schedule a follow up visit, but I'll call at the end of April and see. I guess it's gonna be worse than ever, this year, with the ticks because of the mild winter we had here in New England. Both Butch and Sundance HATE that flea and tick product. It almost acts like it "burns" them, so I know we didn't use it a few months this winter (possibly November, Dec, Jan & Feb) ...we started it up again March 1st only because we noticed a few ticks on Sundance after walks through the fields. Guess we started it too late :( Thank you for your kind wishes. Love to all. Jean and "my boys" xxx
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Don't know if doxycline will effect your dog but I know on some human ( me) it rocked my stomach, just an FYI
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

You might want to check in the forum for the thread on flea and tick prevention that Victory started. It pretty well covers all the products that are used. Down here, we use flea and tick prevention and heartworm prevention year around because insects and ticks are active all year.