Question for folks who use Flea/tick protection

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Question for folks who use Flea/tick protection

Post by Jdcell100 »

To my understanding comfortis only kills fleas for 24 hours and that's it. It more for if yr dog has a lot of fleas on him. My vet said it only works 24 hours it's not a monthly treatment
mayumiyumei27
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mayumiyumei27 »

MissV wrote:Cam my friend :) how are you?
Did you know that flea shampoos actually dont work? The actual thing that works is just washing your dog.
I find that bathing kills some fleas, but not all of them becuase while you're washing the body, all the fleas run and sit inside the dogs ears. So sad :( poor dogs!
I find that frontline drops are the most effective as they actually make the dogs skin toxic to the fleas.
It does take about 3 - 4 months to see any effect of the frontline, but as a long term treatment, its amazing!

I remember that vets recommend ear drops to kill earmites/parasites on dogs ears. you can ask the vet for it. :) thanks for the info bout dog shampoos. How bout dog powder?

And yea i have to agree on long-term maintenance of frontline (spot on) is advised to avoid fleas coming back right away. :P Though it's still necessary in a daily basis (because we can be carriers too) like when we're from outside, there's a lot of animals out there that could have ticks and fleas :shock: . sometimes even cleaning your house is not a guarantee. Better sure than sorry. =;
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Jdcell100 wrote:To my understanding comfortis only kills fleas for 24 hours and that's it. It more for if yr dog has a lot of fleas on him. My vet said it only works 24 hours it's not a monthly treatment
Comfortis is a monthly treatment for fleas...if there is a heavy infestation that's consistent it will only last for about 3 weeks instead of 4. When I took in a stray cat and had to foster it for 3 months I had a major flea problem. Comfortis worked great on the chows when they and my house got bombarded w/fleas! Without cats, I have noticed that fleas don't appear to jump on my chow...they bite me instead :roll: if we are camping or at the leash free dog park. It could be because Sheena has oily skin and oil suffocates fleas, plus I only bathe her maybe 1x/year to keep the oils on her skin-I just brush/comb frequently. I used to kill fleas w/peppermint oil soap-Dr. Bronners. I dipped the cat in the sink with the soapy water and see the fleas just fall off. If there were only a few- I'd just put some butter on my finger and smother them and pick them off.

As far as ticks go...there apparently is some study that has been started in 2011 by Comfortis since some users who live in tick infested areas say it prevents against ticks. Sheena hasn't had any problems when we've gone camping. I don't have a tick problem where I live, nor a flea problem. All I know is that I've used Advantage, Frontline Plus, K-9 Advantix...I appear to have an allergy to topicals and so does Sheena.
Jennifer & Sheena