Grizzly showing signs of cancer

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gdemott
Rank 0
Rank 0

Grizzly showing signs of cancer

Post by gdemott »

Well our 13 year old chow chow has had issues as of late. He started vomiting and diarrhea. He also had a lump on the back of his neck the size of a tangerine. So we took him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics. WE had seen on consumer pages that his dog food was giving dogs issues and in some cases even death. so we thought he may have gotten salmonella from the food and took him off it immediately. he was turning around and acting much better and eating and being alert. So we asked the vet about removing his cyst (it decreased dramatically with the antibiotics.) So they took many test and now it looks like he has cancer as he he has an elevated calcium count and eat has zero calcium in his diet. His thyroid level is low as well. So now our concern is do we get the surgery when it has a risk on such an old dog and it may also help spread any cancer. in any case the prognosis is not good. We are tending to lean on keeping him comfortable and do the most we can but opening him up seams like to hazardous for him. Anyone else faced something similar?
Zhuyos mom

Re: Grizzly showing signs of cancer

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. I have with some of my chows. For the most part, I relied on my chows to tell me what to do. It was clear invasive surgery would not prolong their life and would not guarantee a better quality of life while here on earth. So, I chose the path of spending what time I had with them through maintence medication and kept them safe, comfortable and by my side until they told me it was time to take their journey. Your chow will tell you and you will also have to give him permission to go on.

I am sorry you have to go through this. These are heart wrenching moments. Hugs to you and Grizzly.
gdemott
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gdemott »

Thanks as that has been our decision. putting him under anesthetic is risky in a dog his age so treating the sypmtoms seams to be our best bet.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I relied on my chows to tell me what to do. It was clear invasive surgery would not prolong their life and would not guarantee a better quality of life while here on earth. So, I chose the path of spending what time I had with them through maintence medication and kept them safe, comfortable and by my side until they told me it was time to take their journey.
That was the choice I made with Baby when she was diagnosed with Cushings at 11 and I think it was the right one.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Dear gdemott,

My heart goes out to you at this sad time. I have been where you are and know how you feel. I went through the same with my beloved Chloe 3 years before I had to have her put to sleep. She was diagnosed with cancer in her right hind leg at the age of 12. The vet wanted to put her under anesthesia to remove the tumor. Knowing that anesthesia at that age is risky I opted not to go that route and let nature take its course. About a year before she passed away she went deaf and then dementia set it. There were times I laughed and times I cried. Towards the end of that year she started having trouble doing the stairs. The cancer had taken over the muscle in her right hind leg and her hind quarters were growing weak and giving out. I asked God to give me a sign when it was time to make the heart-wrenching decision.

Chloe always got un-nerved going to the vet. I called the vet and made special arrangements for her to come to my home. A week after Chloe's 15th birthday I took her for one last special walk and then gave her one of her favorite treats. I asked her to lie down on her special quilt and she complied. I stroked her and spoke softly , pouring out my deep, heart-felt feelings and told her we'll be together again someday. :cry: My last words to her were "I love you, be free!" She went to sleep and a peaceful look came over her face. She looked young again.

I know in my heart she is better off but that doesn't help the empty feeling of loss go away.

Sorry for rambling. What I'm trying to say is People sometimes say "I know how you feel" but they really don't. I know how you feel, been there and it's not a fun place to be. I think you have made the right decision - and I know it wasn't an easy one. Just try to keep Grizzly comfortable and make the best of every day you have with Grizzly while you have him. He'll always be in that special place in your life and heart.

I'm sending you a big, comforting hug.

Take Care
Pam
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

so sad :( sending light and love to you and your dog.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...