*Censored Word* glands?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

*Censored Word* glands?

Post by TyChowgirl »

Anyone else have the issue of when their chow gets nervous, surprised, or scared out of no where...they empty them? I didn't think it was that common, but Ty empties his once a month or more sometimes depending on if he's frightened a lot or not...
I know I have a more nervous dog on hand, we're still working on desensitizing. I just didn't know how common this is?
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: *Censored Word* glands?

Post by Sojourner11 »

She discharges her "poop" sac just by being frightened? No, I myself have never heard of that, not without some other major trauma happening to the dog.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

The first time it happened was when we were at the vets for the second time. The doctor had a very nervous aura (not the one we were used to dealing with) when he walked in and smelled like blood (he had some on his coat) Ty was maybe 4 1/2 months? The doctor came over to help me put him on the table and he freaked and emptied the glands leaving the fishy smell. Ever since then, he does it out of no where when he's startled or scared.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

J.D. had problems with this when he was a pup. The last time this happened was maybe six months ago when they were clipping his nails at the vet which he HATES and I think he did it mostly to get back at the people daring to touch his feet haha. When he was a pup though if he got startled he released them. That hasn't happened in a while though. Maybe they grow out of it? There could be an underlying issue there but I know it happened on several occasions when J.D. was young.