I need to have Maggie spayed soon

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

I need to have Maggie spayed soon

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

The vet that I take maggie to insist on keeping the dogs overnight after they have been spayed.
There is no one in the office from the time they close to opening up in the morning.Is this normal? I'm concerned about any emergency that occurs during the night. Do all vets do this? I like this guy but I sure would be more at ease if there was someone looking after these dogs post surgery. Am I being nuts or am I worrying too much? I need all your opinions.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I need to have Maggie spayed soon

Post by Sarahloo »

My vet wraps things up at about 10, 11 o'clock at night. Then the dogs are alone till 8 the next morning, unless she is concerned by a patients' condition and sleeps over.
Why not choose a big clinic for Maggie if you're worried? That way, there's always someone around!
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Not all vets require an overnight stay. When Belle was spayed her daddy dropped her off at 8:30-9am and I picked her up at 5 pm that day. Our vet made sure that she was up & moving around, etc. before he allowed her to leave. There is no way I let mine stay overnight unless they are very sick (& our vet agrees since it can stress a dog out/jepordize health even more).
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Michael's Maggie May wrote:The vet that I take maggie to insist on keeping the dogs overnight after they have been spayed.
There is no one in the office from the time they close to opening up in the morning.Is this normal? I'm concerned about any emergency that occurs during the night. Do all vets do this? I like this guy but I sure would be more at ease if there was someone looking after these dogs post surgery. Am I being nuts or am I worrying too much? I need all your opinions.

Some vet's leave all the animals alone at night, (risky) some have an over night person, (a bit better) but the best ones, do the surgeries early in the morning and then allow them to go home, which I think is the best option. Especially for chows and their documented adverse reactions to pain meds and anathesics. Spaying may be routine but it is MAJOR surgery, and requires in my opinion careful watching afterwards at least for the first 24 hours. Personally, I'd find another vet, one that used either of the second two options, but ideally the last one.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i agree with Victory. An early AM appointment should allow the dog to go home with you later in the day. If the dog absolutely needs to stay overnight, then I think they would have an agreement with an animal hospital that staffs 24/7.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble went in at 8.30am, had her op around midday and was home at 4pm so I see no reason to leave Maggie there all night. I would personally have her home incase of any complications....at least you will know she is OK.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
sara
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sara »

I see this is an old post, it would be interesting to know what the OP decided, OK I'm nosey, I know.

Here in England it seems to be the norm to allow the dog to come home after they have assessed the recovery and all is well,
My first dog came home same day after neutering and so did my chow after spaying, they go in early morning and collection is from 4pm onwards to around 8pm. Normally they are a bit groggy till the next day and tend to just sleep peacefully through the night.
I would insist on having mine home that night if the op went well rather than leave them in a vets all night. Much better to be in their own environment than an unfamiliar place. It means an un-restfulness night for the owner as i assume most of us would spend the night resting by their side, I know I did, but surely this is best for them. This is only my opinion but if this was insisted upon I would find another vet.

I'm having my G/B removed soon and will be home the same night of the operation all being well, it is assumed that recovery is best in your own home, your own flora and fauna.