Unsteadiness in dog

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cbbaum7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Unsteadiness in dog

Post by Cbbaum7 »

We noticed this week that our sweet Gizmo has developed an unsteadiness in his overall movement. Bloodtests revealed no abnormalities or diabetes. X-rays of his front legs also showed no abnormalities but he is definitely favoring his left front paw. He has always been very clumsy. We laugh because my daughters and I are also klutzes so we felt we had the right dog for our family. Are we missing something serious? We have never had a chow before and we rescued this one and have no birth records on him. We think he is around 5-6 years of age. Any advice is very appreciated of what this might be.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Unsteadiness in dog

Post by chowpups »

When they did the blood tests did they check for lymes disease? Just a thought not sure where you live if it's something they even check for in your area. It pretty common here(PA) it's routinely checked for at yearly visits.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

X-rays will not reveal many problems with soft tissue. If you have a grooming routine, or some other time period where Gizmo is comfortable with you touching him, carefully examine both front legs, paws, and shoulders. See if there is some place that seems sensitive. Don't cause him any distress if possible. My dogs have always seemed to understand that such an examine was to help them, but let's face it, no one wants to be hurt.
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

If he's favoring the paw this might not be a great suggestion but if he's unsteady overall he might have an inner ear or equilibrium problem.
Cbbaum7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cbbaum7 »

We did check for Lymes. He had actually tested positive 1.5 years ago and was treated for this then. And I have since had his lymes booster shot given in June. They also checked his ears because we had a cat with an inner ear infection so I am understand what ear problems can do to balance. The soft tissue damage is a good suggestion. He is very sensitive with his paws. But how would you treat this. He is on an anti-inflammatory twice a day for 14 days. He has been on it for four days now without noticeable difference in symptoms. He remains quite happy and is eating well. But this balance issue and unsteadiness if very troubling. Again, I greatly appreciate the imput.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sounds like you have covered the bases. If his paws are sensitive, check them gently and look for possible cuts or infection. I don't know if a stone bruise would show, and the anti-inflammatory should help with that. I know that I would put my own feet in a nice warm epsom salt bath. You probably could not talk your dog into that idea, but perhaps a warm towel wrap would help. Now that is really a guess on my part, because I have never tried it.