Hip Displasia :( ...(update: Surgery DONE)

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hip Displasia :( ...(update: Surgery DONE)

Post by chowftw »

So my 1 year old black chow chow had trouble with his rear legs so we took him to the vet and they gave him "metacam" they told me and my gf to give him this for 10 days and if it wasn't better to come back to get X-rays...

So after his metacam was done, it wasn't better, it was worse... so we made an appointement for X-rays on the 06 of september, we dropped him off in the morning and went back at 3:30 to get the results... Vet takes us in a room to show us the X-rays and tells us that his knees are okay (no problem there) but his hips are suffering of severe Hip Displasia on both sides.

She explained to us what hip displasia was and gave us 3 options...

1. put him down for his own life quality. (Please no!)
2. She gave 2 numbers for a Femeral head + neck excision sugery, Alta Vista in ottawa and DMV in montreal.
3. Give him medication to get through the pain.

We've called the Alta Vista Animal Hospital in ottawa to get a quote for the surgery... its between 2500$ - 3200$, not bad right, :s but when she said for each leg + he will need physio after the surgery :( We cannot afford 6000$ to get the surgery done, It breaks our heart just thinking that we might have to put him down...

Our Chow can still walk, but he puts all his weight on his front legs to not put too much pressure on his rear legs, he has trouble getting up when hes sitting or laying down but he doesn't complain, or cry about it... but when i come in from work his tail is going and hes all happy to see me, i think hes still a happy chow.

My Girlfriend cried all night last night and i dont know what to tell her :s

Anyways i was wondering if you guys could HELP me out, encourage me, give me pointers, other surgery places that might be less expensive, We dont know what to do since we really love him and we can not afford 6000$ to get it done.

Ive talk to people about it but some say its just a dog put him down, what they dont understand is that its our dog and hes part of our family now...

What would be the best thing to do?

Any HELP is appreciated!

Thanks
John
Last edited by chowftw on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sad day: Hip Displasia... :(

Post by chowftw »

No one can help me?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

John
I feel for you both, can the vet do payment plans? Or is the price totally out of your reach. I don't know much personally about hip displasia , I've not had a pet with it.
Could friends or family lend you some of the money and you pay it back?
Is there a way you can call vets for estimates on the price of a hip surgery and maybe find a place thats more willing to work with your pocketbook. Ask your Vet if there are maybe Vet hosp. willing to work with you better financially . I too had to call around for second and third opinions, trying to not give up hope that someone could help Nikki with her cancer.
I hope you can find some help .. I know I didn't give you much, but I hope there is a way to save your young pup.
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Me and my mom are trying to call anywhere to get better prices...

Does anyone know a good cheap place?

Does anyone know if theres any over the counter meds i can get at a pharmacie that would help him until we decide what to do...?

Poor lil guy, this morning he went down the 3 steps to go outside on his front legs only, his rear legs didn't touch the steps...

His front legs are so strong but his rear legs almost have no muscles at all. :(

But his tail still wiggles when i get home from work or if i ask him if he wants to go outside!

I love him so much!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Please don't give up on him. Take your time and continue to keep calling places to see if there are cheaper places or places that take payment plans. I am not from Canada so I'm not familiar with what is up there. Down here in the states we can go to a university (Kstate) that offers discount prices for interns (DVM). Of course they are supervised.... But it is much, much cheaper. I also am not familiar with hip dysplasia but I would ask my vet if there is any medicine that I could give him for pain or inflammation. Please keep researching.I would not give up on your pup as he is a member of your family.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

He may only need surgery on one hip. Please read the attached article.

http://www.grr-tx.com/resources/hipdysplasia.htm

"The THR is a state of the art procedure very similar to the one used in humans. With joint replacement, dogs maintain normal movements and mechanics of the hip joint and are pain free very soon after surgery. Of important note is that over 80% of dogs will only ever need ONE hip replaced despite the presence of arthritis in both hips. The new hip is so strong; it removes the stress on the other arthritic one and the dog functions normally."
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

I personally would have to find any means necessary of getting my dog the surgery. My black chow is almost a year old and the thought of putting him down would just be something I could not accept. But I fully, FULLY understand the challenge of the finances. I would definitely be calling around to places to find out the cheapest prices. Is he a rescue dog by any chance? I know sometimes my vet gives me discounts on things for rescuing my boy. Or like was suggested, see if a vet school would be willing to do the surgery for a reduced price.

I did a quick google search and found this, and maybe you can see if your vet knows of other financing options available.
http://www.petcard.ca/

I wish you the best of luck, I really hope you don't give up on him, he sounds like he is very loved.
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Thanks for the help...

I found a place that does surgery for 800-1000$ per side... i have an appointement at 7:10pm tonight, so ill have more news tonight.

Ill let u guys know!

thx!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, good luck I hope it works out for you. keep us posted
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Ok so i just came back from the vet... the vet said that its the worst case of hip displasia she saw, but he can be fixed...

She did an estimate that came up to 1,114$ for one side, but she said that often when we do one side alot of owners decide to not do the other side since the animal is ok and can walk like a normal dog...

So we will get him operated in the following weeks... ill keep you guys posted!

im so happy that my baby will be ok!

While i was there i took a picture of his x-rays...

here it is!
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Update: My baby is going for surgery on his right leg this friday! :D

Ill bring him to the vets in Hudson, Quebec at 9am and will go pick him up at 9pm!

Then i have to bring him back in two weeks to get his "staples" out and do more x-rays...

Then physio starts! ill most likely install our 8' pool in the basement for winter to help him get all his mucles back so he can walk like a normal chow again!

Hopefully everything goes well!

Wish him luck!

thx for the support!

john
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hip Displasia :( ...(update: Surgery on friday)

Post by chowpups »

So happy things are progressing for you and your chow. Good to hear you are thinking of your therapy after thats important too.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I forgot ,,,, (it comes with age) .. Good luck to your chow baby.. and you..
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Wishing you the best of luck!! Your chow is very fortunate to have such a caring owner!!!
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Thank you! :D
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Surgery went well! :D

We picked him up on friday night at 9pm, when we got home he ate abit and drank water, we put a big blanket down and he layed down, I wanted to stay up all night with him but after 2 hours he wasn't crying nor complaning, so i went to bed with the door open and he was just outside the bedroom door, we didn't hear him at all, got up at 9am, asked him if he wanted out and his tail started wiggling :), so my gf went outside with him and he pee'd... and layed down in grass

Only thing is that we asked them to shave him like a "lion cut" but they messed it up, he looks like a hyenas :S, i think i have the ugliest chowchow, lol but i tell him he beautiful :^o im just happy hes OK and his fur will grow back!

hes on a couple of pills that we have to give him every 12hrs...

Anyways its just to let you guys know how he is feeling...

pics,

they did his right leg first,

Now he went from this.

To this, :(
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hip Displasia :( ...(update: Surgery DONE)

Post by AlwaysTango »

So glad to hear he came through it ok! Thanks for the update!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

He does NOT look ugly! :D
I'm glad to hear that everything went well! Make sure you stay strong and insist on him taking it slow! I know how tough that is with a young Chow boy! After all, all they want to do is run around all day! :D :roll: :D
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

He looks wonderful. When they are in good health, the hair grows back fast enough. We are finally getting Ursa's meds and diet correct and her hair is beginning to grow out.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

He looks great, so glad it went well, What a good looking chow .
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

He is a beautiful boy!! Glad to hear he is doing so well : )
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Thanks Guys/Girls!

He's doing better and better, im so happy!

Funny thing is that when hes laying down and then gets up he walks only on his 2 front legs for about 5 secondes then they drop back down and he walks on them... a lil sloppy but its comming!
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Here a got a video of him walking on 2 legs!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl7i37 ... gs_animals
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Oh my goodness!! If I saw my dog do that I would fall over in shock.
chowftw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowftw »

Why? he just got surgery 3 days before, hes trying to not put too much weight on his rear legs, he walk normaly after a couples seconds!