Vaccinations

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Do you feel it is necessary for your chow to be vaccinated after their rounds of chowling shots?

Yes
50%
No
50%
I have no opinion
No votes

Total votes: 14

Zhuyos mom

Vaccinations

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Pooh Bear and I just returned from the vet to get her rabies shot, etc.... Her license is up for renewal and our county requires up to date rabies vaccinations. Anyways, I just thought I'd pass this info on about dog parks and bordetella shots.

Her vet recommends that if you regulary take your chow to a dog park, you should seriously consider getting her/he/them vaccinated with the bordetella vaccine. Apparently, there has been an anormous increase of "kennel cough" (don't know the scientific name) that has been transmitted strictly via dog parks. So that's just some food for thought for everyone.

I'm going to start a poll. Okay, I'm experimenting with the site. My "image" thing didn't work earlier. So let's see if I can get a hand on this "poll" thing. :lol:
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Lou,
The only reason I'll do the yearly or scheduled (every 3 for rabies?) is because we do have Kodi at dog parks and have boarded her once, will again and it's a requirement of the boarding facility. As she ages, I will cut it back to bare minimum. There's SO much information on the web about the drawbacks of following the vets vax schedule, alot saying it's just about the business of it ($) and not about the actual health care. I think I recall Susan(?) submitted something about that on the old site.
Purple kisses,
Cindy & Kodi
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Shots

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Great idea taking the survey. Pekoe just turned 9 and this is the first year Pekoe hasn't had her shots. I've read in the later years they start developing cancer around the shot areas and the yearly shots are distroying their immune systems which they need even more in the later years so I'm still trying to decide shots or not.
Then you think about all the dogs living out in no where land and on farms that never have seen a vet and live way longer and are more healthier then our spoiled off to the vet every time they sneeze Chows.
I don't think rabies should be included in the topic of getting shots or not that's a must but the others I'm not sure about.
kingalls

Frequency of shots

Post by kingalls »

I pretty much feel that other than rabies, I will not have Shiloh or Mr. N have shots yearly. When the rabies shots are due, I will consider giving them the other shots. Maybe not the same thing but after doing the yearly shots for our cats, one of them developed one of those "spots" that started to swell and develop a lump which we then had to massage daily and monitor. That is a bad thing...so we don't buy into the yearly dose of shots. If you think about the time when vets weren't giving out these shots, the Chows were out there in the wild doing many of the things we wouldn't consider (nor they) having them do today - hunting, guarding, etc. Compared to dog parks, I think we have less to worry about. There are specific conditions we must guard against but just don't blindly say okay to each and every "recommended" shot.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

:? We do not get Milly and Mabel their shots annually. They had the full batch when they were chowlings but since then none.
In the U.K., we do not need, at present, to get the rabies injections. If ever we had to I would do so. There is a need to have injections up to date over here on The island for a dog to go into kennels - also kennel cough is around but Fred and I have taken the decision - if we cannot go to say a self-catering holiday in Wales where we can take M & M with us, we won't go anywhere. (That does not worry me too much, as I can get homesick on a day trip to Blackpool!! :roll: )
I am not particularly happy with our decision but, I have read so much about cancer starting at injection sites and lowered immune systems - I just don't know - I just hope!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
bellatrix

shots

Post by bellatrix »

It is very important for Chows to get rabies vaccines!! Especially since they may love to take on small animals in fights. Another thing you should definetly keep up on is the Lyme Disease shot, since it is very easy for a Chow who goes outside to get bitten my ticks..with all that hair it is impossible to find ticks!!

Vacs

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone! It is so nice to be back. The city I live in requires rabies shots. All dogs, chows, and horses must have the shots in order to recieve the municipal license (a requirement). Therefore Max-A-Million must have them. I'm not sure if the remaining shots offered by vets are necessary. Max has just had his first birthday, so now I'm wondering if additional shots are really worth it. I will be watching this site for suggestions and opinions.

Peace and Blessings
Elaina and Max-A-Million :?
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

vaccinations

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Our vet, both for the cats and the dog, says that the shots should be given but not yearly, AND, she changes the location of the shots every time. I, too, have heard of animals getting cancer and so on in the areas where they are injected.

We had to have rabies in order to get a license for Orso and he had to have bordetello (sp?) in order to attend obedience school.

Seems as tho the dog's damned if ya do and damned if ya don't. It's kind of a sucky choice: rabies or cancer. Ick.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Willow got one round of the combo shots two years ago and a kennel cough shot the year we got married and she had to stay with a breeder. She also had a distemper booster last year.

This year she is due for rabies which is required by law here. So, I 'm hoping to get her a three year rabies shot and talk to the vet about not giving any of the others.
SusanScales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Kennel cough

Post by SusanScales »

We had never had to worry about this vaccination until we came back to the states. The kennel we housed our dogs at while we closed on our house required the vaccine before you could leave your dog. I couldn't believe it. I understand I guess but we had just had the huge health certification just to bring them back with us. Customs had to examine them and I just couldn't believe they couldn't be housed there without the vaccine. So, every six months if they have to go back. We don't really socialize them with other dogs. I don't really see the need in it if you don't take them to dog parks.