TPLO Recovery time?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zeus & Simba
Rank 0
Rank 0

TPLO Recovery time?

Post by Zeus & Simba »

Simba my little girl blew her cruciate ligiment :cry: so i had a TPLO done. My boy did the same a year ago.

Just curious how long it too anyone elses chow to recover from the same ?
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: TPLO Recovery time?

Post by jacqui »

Oh,I'm sorry to hear about both your Chows having AC problems. Many years ago one of my male Chows had both knees done (3 months apart) and I believe it was about 3 -4 months recovery time. Please leash walk while shes recovering because even though they are feeling better you can't let them get crazy during recovery.
During recovery my male liked for us to just sit in our driveway so thats what we did everyday for a while. He loved being out and I wantedto supervise him so we'd just sit outside.
The time will pass and she'll be walking and playing before you know it!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
laughingchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laughingchow »

Hi Jacqui,
I just came across this site today and was really interested to see your reply about TPLO recovery time as you have been through the ordeal and come through. Our black chow Boris had a TPLO on 3 Feb and had stitches taken out on 13 Feb which was very upsetting as he got himself into a real state even with a light sedative, the vet was saying he may need an anaesthetic if he didn't calm down. Anyway they got the stitches out with a bit of a struggle but he is crying a lot today which maybe because the soft tissue is sore. My question is really to find out how your dogs dealt with the operation temperament wise as I'm so worried that Boris is in a lot of pain or that he may be slightly over-reacting (I only say this as he has always been sensitive). Ever since the op he has been acting like a dysfunctional bear at the zoo and pacing and crying especially at night. We are very concerned to keep in a limited space to prevent strain on the limb and most nights have been sleeping at night with him on a leash holding him whilst trying to catch some sleep on the sofa. He walks with his op leg on the ground but intermittently he cries and lifts his leg and he hops when he first gets up from lying down a period of time. The drugs he's on are:
Rimadyl anti inflammatories - twice a day
Anti biotics - Synulox - twice a day but since yesterday he's been changed to Anti-Robe pills 3 times a day
Tramadol - 1 three times a day (for a week he's been on 2 x 3 times a day)
P.S - He's not constipated, goes for short 5 min walks and has a dog companion - he's nearly 3yrs old

Reassurance that any of this behaviour sounds familiar and normal plus any tips to distract and keep a dog calm in this condition would be good to hear.
Many thanks in advance - Barbara
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Hi Barbara,
Funny you should write me about the TPLO surgery as my 9 year old female just had her left knee done on Feb.1 very unexpectedly.
My girl Chyna is not healthy but there was no choice about the TPLO surgery,if she didn't have it she couldn't move as she has many other orthopedic issues.
I read your letter and yes, its normal to whine a bit after the surgery but if hes still crying after all this time I would bring him to the vet to have that knee checked. Chows do not like to show pain so if hes still that uncomfortable I would have him checked.
Please don't misunderstand me,this surgery does take time to fully heal. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job caring for Boris.It is always tramatic for them and us to go thru these surgeries.
Chyna is on Tramadol 2x a day because the 3rd was upsetting her tummy.So I give her Pepcid in the morning before the pain meds.
I do not like Rimydil, we prefer Deramaxx. The Rimydil may not be agreeing with him?
Chyna is still holding her leg up when she gets up from a laying down position,she just started touching her toes on the ground.
Boris should take things very slow like you are doing. I must tell you that they can get infections from the surgery so if you think it looks red,swollen,etc. please call your vet.
Please let me know how things are going with Boris. If I can be of any help just let me know!
Just PM me!
Good luck and keep me posted!
Jacqui
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
laughingchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by laughingchow »

Hi Jacqui

Thank you so much for replying so fast especially when you've got a lot on your hands with Chyna - poor girl (Chyna that is!). It sounds like she's doing well especially if she's got other complications and not being able to bounce back as quickly when you're older. Since I wrote, Boris is a lot calmer as we were advised to stop the Tramadol as vet thought that it might be an unusual reaction which was making him vocalise and so restless - he's now more back to his previous big snoozy bear state which is a relief all round. Haven't heard of Deramaxx - will look into it. It made me laugh when you said that chows don't like to show pain as I would totally agree with you from experience with other family chows until Boris - he can get himself into a tizz if you try and gently trim the fur inbetween his paws - he's quite well known for being a drama chow!

Please let me know how Chyna progresses. I'll be relieved when Boris goes for his check up xray in 6 weeks time to know for definite that it's all ok - praying that his other leg is strong. Here's hoping they're both frolicking around again by spring ...summer maybe

All the best

Barbara
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Hi Barbara,
I'm happy to hear Boris is doing better! So he had a reaction to Tramadol? I find Chows are very sensitive to many medications.Chyna has been on so many I keep a list of the ones she can't take.
Chyna got her stitches out Monday and the doctor is happy with her progress so far. She just started putting her foot down to walk yet is not putting weight on it yet. She too will get an xray in a month to make sure everything is alright. I know she needs her other knee done but we will see if shes up to that when the time comes. As I mentioned, my male that had both knees done at 1 year old did great! He did get an infection in one knee at 3 years old and they removed that plate but he was still very active with no problems.
I wish you and Boris all the best with his recovery,you're doing great with him!
We will keep in touch with our progress!
Jacqui