Eyesight question

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Eyesight question

Post by TiVo's Mom »

OK, I really have two questions:
First, it's been a long time since I've had a puppy. TiVo is 5 months old, does his puppy vision differ from what it will be when he's an adult? For instance when I'm tossing his ball just a few feet he's very good at finding it but if I throw it further he doesn't seem to know where it went.

Second, I've read that because of the way chows eyes are set its best to approach them head on rather than from the side so they aren't suprised. To be honest, the way his eyes are set don't look that different to me, or does this happen more as they become adults and their skulls mature?
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "when I'm tossing his ball just a few feet he's very good at finding it but if I throw it further he doesn't seem to know where it went."
---

It could just simply be that he wasn't given enough opportunities to exercise his eyes or develope focus/attention, - wherever he was before he came to live with you. I hope that's all it is.

Try bouncing the ball on harder surfaces for sound effect, or use the type of ball with bells or rattlers inside them to help him co-ordinate his senses. There are scented tennis balls too, or create your own versions. Some other toys make noises when thrown, etc.

Both the brain (attention,focus) and the eyes, rely on omega-3's for
healthful development. There are some excerpts on how important the omega-3's are to eye development, in fairly recent threads about King Koda's eyes (ngraham's posts).
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. I doubt that he really had an opportunity to play outside of a very small area before he came to us. We did just get him a ball that makes sounds on impact and lights up that he really likes so I will try using that and see if it makes a difference.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Also, it is always better to approach any dog from the front. They can see you coming and can tell if you are friend or foe.

The chow thing is not petting over the top of their heads. They cannot see well and prefer to be touched on the chest and under the muzzle. I think it has to do with the shape of their heads.

You could talk to your vet. I know that there are eye issues beyond entropian with Chows.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Might just be he doesn't care about the ball. None of ours ever chased a ball. But a squirrel at 100 feet away and there on it!