Chow and Aneasthesia

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Farmer Chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow and Aneasthesia

Post by Farmer Chow »

Hello all

I was hoping someone could maybe offer some advice on the following -

I have read somewhere that Chow Chows have smaller hearts than that of your average dog and that deaths in Chows can occur due to the vet determining the amount of aneasthetic given by the dogs weight, therefore giving them too much in some cases. And due to thier smaller hearts this gives rise to problems.

My Chow Chow is due to be neutered next month and i have slight concerns over this. Is this something anyone can shed any light on for me or offer advice.

Obviously i wil lconsult my vet about this prior to the procedure taking place.

Cheers :? :?
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow and Aneasthesia

Post by gumbychow »

Hello Farmer chow
This is the first time that I hear about this problem for me.
I am making this type of medical procedure several times.
Never a problem.
Veterinary medicine is very high level.
Please reassure your vet will do this properly and your chow will be very happy .....may be :o
a +
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

It has nothing to do with heart size, it has to do with the actual type of anesthia used.
Some chows have demonstrated highly allergic to it, or - too much remains trapped in the liver, and the dog becomes quite ill after the surgery.
Some really seem to have an adherent allergy to it.

I 'd have to dig up the name of the common one that should be avoided. The name doesn't come to me now.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

KETAMINE!
Ask your vet not to use Ketamine
and at all costs do not accept Rimdyl as post operative pain killer. Avoid this drug like the plague.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

The anethesia that should always be used for a chow is Isoflurine. This is a gas anethesia that once turned off, is out of the animals system in a few minutes and the animal wakes right up. All my chows have had procedures with this and NONE of them have suffered side effects. The other problem with chows, (or any of the short muzzled breeds) and anethesia is that depressing their breathing can cause problems, many of the injected anethesias do this and do it for too long, (that thing about smaller hearts) and this can cause heart failure due to respiratory problems. Isoflurine leaves the system fast enough that this is not an issue.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Oh thanks Victory. For the life of me I just couldn't remember the name, but I sure was able to remember the one which should be avoided.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Merlin wrote: and at all costs do not accept Rimdyl as post operative pain killer. Avoid this drug like the plague.
RimAdyl? And why?
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

More dogs have died from the use of Rimadyl than any other pain killer.
There are currently more than 300 class action suits against the Pfizer company, and since the inception of other lawsuits about 4 years ago, Pfizer is now mandated to put a clear warning on the drug, that "death" is a possible side effect. Not only that. Since the inception of law suits, veterinarians in almost ALL states MUST by law show their client all the potential side affects of any dispensed drugs.

Rimadyl is definitely on the not wanted list.
While many will agree that most pharmaceuticals have some sort of side effects, not too many have "death", as a side effect. There are much safe ones, like Dermaxx, or perhaps Tramadol.

View: http://rimadyldeath.com/FDA-CVM%20lette ... Pfizer.htm

Actually this is now old news. Most people know about the new Act, and know about the drug.

Just google "Rimadyl deaths"
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Ketamine is the sedative used before a gas anesthetic agent. I've never seen my own or other Chows I've done anesthesia on have issue with it, but any owner can always request their veterinarian use anesthetic gas only.

Isoflurane and Sevoflurane are the only gasses I'm aware are used in veterinary medicine. Sevo is newer..in fact, amusingly enough when I had surgery, the anesthesiologist asked what gas we used on animals and then said "oh! we're using Sevo" . Both are exhaled quickly..sevo has a slightly quicker recovery time, but not dramatically so.
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Another reason never to use tranquilizers:

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4848

Gizmo died from the use of these. With gas there was never an issue.

It's also important to do a full work-up on health prior to any time they go under.

Deanski
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

I know this is an old thread but came up doing a google search.
Anaesthesia is started using an induction agent administered intravenously usually in England alfaxan or vetofol (spellings might be wrong) and is mantained via a gas administered through a tube in the trachea which I've never seen them use anything other than iso.
Unsure of which chows have reactions to but I've only personally known of one chow to die in recovery and that was a mass removal and if this was a mast cell tumour there are reasons other than anaesthesia for its death and sometimes with non routine surgery you never know what other nasty things are happening
As for rimadyl, both rimadyl and metacam can be dangerous if dosed incorrectly. Rimadyl tablets should always be given with a meal and your vet should always prompt you to do so. Other than that I've never heard of major problems with rimadyl other than possibly localised reactions to the injection site which can come up in a lump but usually resolve themselves.
If your not breeding especially bitches spaying may be scarey and a large payout but prevent mammary tumours, false pregnancy and pyometra all in which I've seen the fall out of and it's never been nice to see