HGE Recovery period

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

HGE Recovery period

Post by MickChick »

Brandy, my 7 year old female chow, was diagnosed and treated for HGE Sunday and Monday (ER Animal Hospital sunday until Monday, then spent the day at the regular vet, getting IV fluids and antibiotics until her pvc was down within normal range and she had pooped). The ER vet found two hookworm ova and thought that might have caused the HGE. They dewormed her and I have to do it again on the 30th. Brought her home monday night, and she's been eating her special diet prescription low residue food, taking her anti-biotics (thank god for pill pouches - I almost lost a finger on Monday night and she didn't get that first home dose of anti-biotic). The vet told me not to expect normal stools for a while. Yesterday they were still very soft, one was normal color, one looked like it had coagulated blood in it, also soft. Brandy is enjoying long walks outside, wanting to engage with other people and dogs (and doing so), getting lots of love and attention, but then will get up, walk away and whine. Brandy whines to communicate - she needs water, she whines; she wants food, she whines; she wants to go out, she whines; she wants attention, she whines. There is ALWAYS a reason for her whining and when that need is taken care of she stops. So when she whines when all of those needs are being taken care of, it really concerns me! She whined last night for a minute or two, then when I told her it was bed time and we would both go to sleep, she closed her eyes, went to sleep and was fine until I got up this morning and she whined to go out. Walked for about an hour, walked in the door, and immediately whined twice, then laid down and hasn't peeped since though she has eaten and drunk water.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking that she is on the road to recovery but her stomach is still hurting? I was waiting for her to poop again before calling the vet so I can describe the latest poop when I call at the same time ... She doesn't apear to be any more lethargic than normal - Brandy's not exactly a bundle of fire! She plays with a couple of maltese and chases them for about 5 minutes before she's tired of all that running around and just wants to lay down for a bit!

Has anyone's dog had HGE and come home afterward for recuperation? Any idea what a normal recuperation period is and what to expect? So many sites I have found the dogs never made it home, and when and if they did, no one went into any detail about how they acted during recperation,jut that it took weeks to months before they were back to normal. Thanks.
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: HGE Recovery period

Post by Merlin »

Hi

With the internet writing to scores of people, it's always better not to use euphamisms or abbreviations.
What is HGE?
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Sorry about that - That's what the vet called it. I had to look it up on the internet myself to find out what it stands for just now - Hemmoraghic Gastric Enteritis...

Brandy didn't poop at all yesterday, but started acting more like herself - ever so subtle changes - just that she would look at me more directly like she didbefore she got sick, and this morning - a normal poop! I think we really ARE on the road to recovery. The pill pockets are wonderful - she's popping her anti-biotics without hesitation now.
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

hello Mick chick
If the medication is adequate, (antibiotic) and you treat your dog with pro biotic bacterium (Fortiflora) or a product to soften the intestines (Diarsanyl),
and the nouriture your dog has adapted Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). (see the meat to the vet)
everything is going well.
See my case with whisky (another scrare) and (the good times are back)
a +
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Hemmoraghic Gastric Enteritis.

or poor you!!! That's going to be a bit of a long term issue of your not careful and it can become chronic.
I think probably your best recourse would be to manage it as you would IBD ( more abbreviations :) ) - Irritable Bowel Syndrome

There's a great site called www.dogaware.com and they discuss bowel issues at great length and they do offer miraculous solutions including links to groups that focus on bowel issues.
It's sad to hear that your chow has this, but in your case it could simply be acute and she'll get past this.
It's absolutely imperative that you refrain from giveing her any treats or food that contain BHT or BPA, Menadione whatsoever. ( which are most treats found in stores). Make up your own if you like.

If she's on a prescription diet, you need to stick to it utterly.
She can get past this if you are diligent.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Thanks so much for the info and sites. I've been reading as much as I can about it and most sites only indicate a 10-15% chance of recurrence while neglecting to mention that it can be a chronic condition. I discovered that thrOgh another online BB for dogs in general. It will be well worth keeping her on special food and treats rather than seeing her go through that again. Of course she didn't complain other than to let me know when she had to go out, but the ER vet told me that the way she laid down (stretching front legs out first, then lowering chest followed by back end) was indicative of stomach pain). I have treats that were hand made by a doggie bakery for her. I'll check to see if those ingredients are in them and if they are she won't be getting any more of them!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

You know, you don't even ever have to check the ingredients in treats, just don't buy them or give them to your dog, Any manmade commercial treat will generally contain unwanted carcinogens and most of the ones in petstores are from China which include meats from that country as well.

It's simply healthier, safer and better to make up your own treats.
Just buy liver or chicken, slice it and dry it in your oven then toss it in bags in the freezer. How easy is that?
Last edited by Merlin on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

hello Mick chick
good luck
a +
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

By the way MickChick
Get a small amount of Slippery Elm at your local health food store and keep it handy.
It's a bark that is easily steeped into a tea, and once cooled you can add this to your dog's food.

It's wonderful in helping to protect your chow's intestines during any acute breakout

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies. ... y-elm.html
Better Yet ! Adopt!