Darkwind

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh Victory, I am so sorry to hear your news. I've been away for a few days, so please forgive me for not writing sooner. Give Darkwind a hug from us as well, and know that there are just so many of us holding you guys in our thoughts.
txladybug
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Darkwind

Post by txladybug »

Scooby and I are new,but we wanted to tell you that we are thinking of you guy's!! Scooby has a small mass in his lung's and a rather nice one in his tummy.He's vet has been treating him w/ antibotic's for various other issue's but we have our first appt.w/ an Oncologist on Monday? We wish you guy's LOT'S OF LUCK!!! This Cancer thing SUCK'S!!!!!!
Debbie & Scooby [-o|
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Aye it does indeed. I'll keep your Scooby in my thoughts as well, along with Pekoe and of course my Darkwind. I'm caustiously optimistic...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't think you said when your supposed to get Darkwinds results back, I hope it all turns out OK, Just wanted you to know Pekoe and I are thinking about him and hoping for the best.
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

We just lost our mal in February to cancer at the age of 9. When I asked what had caused it, our vet, the vet we were referred to at a Vet school and their oncologist said that it was a cancer that onsets in older dogs and is seen very rarely in younger dogs. So, I guess it's similar to humans eventually you're going to die of something. I think the hard thing to accept with our dogs is that their life span is already so much shorter, especially with the larger breeds. Our vet had warned us that the max life span of a large mal was 10 years and I absolutely did not believe him. Losing him at 9 was incredibly hard. However, the other thing I can't help thinking though it that he was the first pure breed dog we'd had. Before then we always had relatively large mixed breed dogs that we rescued or adopted and none of them died of cancer. It makes me wonder if purebred dogs more susceptible? I don't want to even think about going through this with TiVo some day (or my other six fur babies for that matter).
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Don't think you said when your supposed to get Darkwinds results back, I hope it all turns out OK, Just wanted you to know Pekoe and I are thinking about him and hoping for the best.
I'm hoping for today or at the very latest Wednesday. This waiting is making me a little nuts.
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hang in there Victory - we are all thinking of you and Darkwind and Firesong.

Hugs, purple kisses from M & M
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I just talked to the vet and he got the pathologists report back, the pathologists said it is either one of two things, one is a basal cell begnign mass the other is a centralized malignant mass. I forget the whole long names he gave me. The pathologists is leaning towards the begnign mass, the vet towards the malignant mass. The good news is that both are operable!

My Vet is referring us to the University of Minnesota Vet School and Hospital for evaluation, surgery and any follow up care needed. (see Kiwani's post about their special study on another kind of cancer that affects Chows and
Akida's). The "U" as we call it here probably isn't even open today, so I'm not expecting to hear from them until later this week, or early next week. In the meantime, we're putting him back on the anti-vomiting medicine and hopefully I'll be able to get him to eat more, (he took his heartguard well...but is refusing most food) See if I can get some of that weight back. He's alert and energetic, (not as much as I'd like but not as bad as he was), drinking just fine, he poobed on friday, so his digestive track is working, it just needs more to work on!

I know it probably sounds nuts to some folks that surgery is a good thing, but it is, because hearing the words, "keep him comfortable" would be the worst..so this is very good news.

And thanks again to all of you for your thoughts and kind words, it's a real blessing to have somewhere to go and 'talk' to people who understand.
Thank you SweetPea!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

That is wonderful news, Victory! I'm glad you heard from your vet today versus having it linger on for a couple of more days.

Surgery is a good thing! My two live in cancer remission due to surgery.

Since you cook Darkwind and Firesong's meals, have you thought of blending up Darkwind's portions in a food processor? Perhaps it will go down better, or you can spoon feed him till it wets his whistle and goes for his meal himself.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Great news!!! Now all you have to do is find out what Darkwind is interested in and then viola!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Lou wrote:Since you cook Darkwind and Firesong's meals, have you thought of blending up Darkwind's portions in a food processor? Perhaps it will go down better, or you can spoon feed him till it wets his whistle and goes for his meal himself.
That's how I get him to take the little he's eating, I turned it into baby food and give it to him on a spoon, but his tummy is so upset he's drooling continously and that I think makes everything taste yucky. So hopefully the regellan will make him feel better again, and he'll eat.
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Considering what I'm sure was going through your mind, even though it involves surgery that has to be excellent news, Bet your relieved.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That's really good news Victory!! I can't imagine how relieved you must have been to hear it's operable. Thank goodness.

Isn't it amazing how the heartguard is such a wonderful "treat." Gourmet dog treats! :wink:

Hang in there!! We're sending you great big hugs!!
chris

Post by chris »

What wonderful news. Im so happy 4 u guys. :-) Have a great 4th of July together and relax now a bit.

HUGE hugs and kisses from Steel and myself.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I know it sounds funny, but when Rogan gets sick, I feed him some rice mixed with Chicken broth. It seems to calm his stomach down and lessens the drooling.

Just an idea. I know you are trying everything.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

glad to hear that it is operable. im sure you are a little more at ease. we said a prayer for you guys last night.
try and stay calm, being stressed is not gonna help either one of you.
i know you said you tried alot of things to make darkwind eat, but did you try science diet a/d??? for some reasone luna gobbled it up when she wasnt eating anything else. its full of fat, so it will definately put on some lbs.
ask your vet, as that is the only place you can get it.just a thought.
we will still be thinking and praying for you.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "hopefully I'll be able to get him to eat more..."
---

You might consider researching green tripe as an appetite stimulant. It's recommended as a 'recovery' food for dogs with depressed appetites. Solid Gold has a canned version, called "Green Cow", and there might be other brands by now. It's made from the fourth section of a cow's stomach which contains enzymes, probiotics, phytochemicals, amino acids, etc., etc, etc. It is smelly though! But just a couple of spoonfuls per meal needed : )

Sending all best wishes...

Excerpt: "Green Tripe"

"this portion of the stomach is able to provide an extremely rich food high in natural enzymes, gastric juices, phytochemicals, B-complex vitamins, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and amino acids. The fatty acids are of great benefit to the health of the skin and coat, and the B-complex vitamins and free-form (ready to use) amino acids would explain the energy and vitality that tripe feeders notice in their dogs. Additionally, the undigested microorganisms constitute what is commonly referred to as probiotics, useful for establishing and maintaining a healthy variety of friendly intestinal flora. And, the rich variety of phytochemicals may provide a wealth of benefits too vast to mention, and in fact not completely understood. There is no doubt that there is great potential benefit in feeding green tripe. The scientific analyses and the anecdotal testimonials cannot be argued. However, be prepared. Feeding green tripe is not for sissies. This stuff smells horrible (I mean open the can outside horrible) and looks twice as bad."

http://www.tailwagginsbakery.com/newsletter.htm
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[:D]

Great news, Victory! Give Darkwind and Firesong a big hug from us all!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm glad the news is good. You must feel such relief (and renewed strength). Have a happy holiday and celebrate with Tripe! MMMMMMMMMM! :P
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

We will be thinking of you and Darkwind.

PS---Kiwani saying the trip is smelly, is a huge understatment, it's GROSS! If possible open the can outside.

But, there is also a brand called Trippett, I think that's how it's spelled.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Yay! [:D]

Good news finally. Hopefully it is benign, but it is operable and that's what we'll focus on. Thank Goodness. :x
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Great news!

I have used the chicken and rice meal for an upset stomach. Worked with my furry little girl.

Darkwind is such a beautiful name - do you have a picture of him you could post?

There may already be one out here someplace, but I haven't seen it.

Prayng for Darkwind and lighting a candle for him and Scooby Sunday night, also Pekoe.
chris

Post by chris »

Same here yvonne. I have 3 candles that will be light Sunday night. :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

[quote="Yvonne"]Darkwind is such a beautiful name - do you have a picture of him you could post?

There may already be one out here someplace, but I haven't seen it.quote]
He's camera shy but here are three of him...if I can make it work right. :?

Maybe if I ignore her she'll get rid of that thing...

It's my couch and I'll fix the way I like it!

Oh there she is again with that thing...I don't like that thing!
Thank you SweetPea!