nasal tumor

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

nasal tumor

Post by chowpups »

Does anyone know if nasal tumors are more prevalent in Chows? Not sure if Nikki has one or not we're having more tests done today for answers but just wanting to know if anyone else has dealt with this issue? Seems to be an area of possible other things too. Sinus infection, tooth problems etc so we're waiting to find out later. But was interested to see if others have had this issue with their chows???
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: nasal tumor

Post by chowpups »

Ended up doing a biopsy so we're waiting on results in a few days.. keeping everything crossed for a good outcome.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

We will keep our fingers and paws crossed that it is not serious. I haven't had any experience with tumors so I don't have any information to offer. Just my support.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Thanks for the support ... Its always good to hear.. Nikki looks like she was in a battle and lost.. She has about a 1 1/2 in scar down her muzzle where they did the bone and tissue biopsy. Won't find out the results until MAYBE if everyones working up till the holiday on christmas eve. Just glad she made it through the surgery okay.. always worry with putting them under. She was my christmas present 4 yrs ago and hoping this christmas will be good news too..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Waiting and praying for a good outcome for Niknaks.
Hugs from Siriol and purple kisses from your Scottish cousins Bramble and Izzie ♥.¸¸.♥ '' ♥.¸¸.♥
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Thanks big and lil cuzzz..And Auntie Siriol. Mom is waiting patiently .. for now... and really hoping she hears good news soon.. IN the mean time .. Iam still keeping my eye out for chipmunks or squirrels...a few stitches won't keep me down.. LOL
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

When are they supposed to have the results? And how did you find this possible tumor?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

the dr. said with the holidays maybe if we're lucky we'll get some notice by Christmas Eve. But you know how everyone takes off the day or two before a holiday if they can..
I noticed it kind of by accident . Wiping her eyes clean she flinched and yelped .. Not like her she's fine with people touching her face and ears etc.. Tried it again and she pulled away like don't dare touch me again. So I looked at her and saw a grape size swelling on her right muzzle. Took her to the vet . not a tooth or sinus infection. so while she was under he did a biopsy and thats where we are WAITING.. It wasn't easy to notice unless you looked her straight on . cause she has kind of a squishy muzzle so I thought it was just more fleshy on one side. but there was a definite lump on the right.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm hoping for the best for Nikki and that you'll soon have good news!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Here is a photo shot from standing over top of her head .. the right side near her eye is the lump.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hoping for a good vet report for Nikki.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

We had the stitches out yesterday and the Vet said there was no change in the size or tenderness. He had her on an antibiotic just incase it was some type of infection starting. But the antibiotic didn't do anything . We are going to wait a few weeks and see what she feels like and looks like if it gets bigger or other symptoms. In the mean time she's still my lil Nikki doing her zoomies in the snow.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad Nikki is feeling like herself. That's a good sign!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Hey Nancy! Been thinkin' of you and lil Nikki! How's she doing?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

The tumor biopsy showed granulation tissue and the vet said it could have been from trauma but that is not definite? We're looking into when she ran into a pine branch awhile ago while doing her zoomies in the dark. I guess we just are doing the rule out stuff. But she has been having a terrible time with UTI's and ph balance problems, I've had her on royal cainin so diet for uriniary problems but no luck yet and meds. ..Iam actually suppose to bring another sample in for testing but with the ice and snow its making it impossible to get..I can only imagine what the neighbors think ..LOL
Thanks for asking Jess.. its been a tough time lately. Shes definitely been alittle mopey.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm sorry to hear she's been mopey. I hope things get better for y'all soon! Y'all deserve it. :)
Jess
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope Nikki gets better soon!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Well the snow has melted a little so out I went with my plastic container taped to a yard stick and trying to get a urine sample.. and then off to the Vet again.. I sure hope its not a bad result again. I think Nikki has hit her limit with antibiotics and SO royal canin food. She seems very exhausted lately and not much interest in anything..

thank you Cora and Jess for the kind words ..
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki has finally gotten over the UTI's with the help of canned so royal canin food. At first she wasn't eating it but we figured out the dry type food was probably hurting her to eat with the tumor on her face. We are heading to the next vet for more tests. since the biopsy has left us in limbo and not sure what is going on .. she has lost 6lbs in one month and not doing great, alittle sick to the stomach, alittle runny nose, tired and just not herself.. We're hoping the next dr. can tell us if its cancerous or not. No one has given us a yes or no and this is driving us crazy.. All the tests and biopsies and no one can come up with a definite answer yet.. Very frustrating for Nikki and me..
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm glad the UTI'S are under control...I hope you get an answer soon about the tumor. Poor Nikki...please get better soon!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

thanks Cora ,, we too wish she would get better soon.. Its been too long and its time for her to enjoy some good health. She just got back from the sitters house which has 3 border collies and she seemed to really enjoy herself playing with them. Nikki thinks she's an agility dog like them but she has no clue what to do with out them showing her. And her butt is alittle wide for the posts they go threw.(we won't tell her that though). It funny just watching her squeeze thru the doggie door they use.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki has been diagnosed with a massive oral/nasal cancer . I will write at a later time . I just have to get my self together better. And will be spending precious time left with Nikki.. Thank you all for all your prayers and kind thoughts.

Nancy/Nikki
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. My prayers that Nikki and you get as much time as possible.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry to hear this. So very sorry.... These are hard times as my husband has been diagnosed with lung cancer. My thoughts are with you and Nikki.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so so sorry Nancy! I'm praying you get a long time left with Nikki! **HUGS**
Jess