Strange changes in Chow

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Strange changes in Chow

Post by threedogjeep »

I posted before about Leela's itchy tush, and Juniper was a help. But there is more to this saga.
When her buddy (and my lab of 16 years) died here at home, she grieved tremendously. We started in a training class and she LOVED it. Then, several months ago she stopped letting me groom her. Now I have to do tiny bits at a time, IF she let's me at all. Runs when I pick up the comb or brush. Then started the tush itching. Three courses of antibiotic, shot of steroids. No raging infection in urine, then vet shaved her to see if it needed just dry out. No go. Still tears into it, but funny thing is there is no bad irritation. Then she stopped cashing in on my invitation to jump up on the couch. Then, we were having an addition put on, and she just stopped eating. She was on Eagle with either canned Eagle or fresh veggies mixed in. I chalked it up to nerves/anxiety. Tried TOTW grain free. she hated it. Tried Natural Balance. Nope. Went back to Eagle. She has been eating but not joyfully the way she used to. She used to love to eat her some food. Not now. THen a couple weeks ago I noticed where she has licked a spot on each front leg almost bald. Back to vet, He says nerves. Another shot of steroid. I walk her every day. She has free access through dog door to an acre of fenced land. Last night I got to brushing her back end and noticed a big spot where the hair was really really short, not down to skin but almost. What the????? Did the groomer shave out a mat? Didn't tell me! My other little dog has had a round with his tracheal collapse, not helping matters I am sure with his cough. It's under control now.
Tonight I went back to the dog food store and got a bag of Solid Gold Hundenflocken after she turned her nose up at dinner again. She ate half cup of that dry without anything pretty well. That is what I fed her when we rescued her 4 years ago at 11 months.

What the heck?

I am ready to go to another vet, but it's so hard to find a good one. This one has a chow breeder that drives hours to see him, so I thought he was good and they are an accredited hospital.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Meantime I am thinking of going to a TCVM vet if I can find one.

I am at wits end.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
kingalls

Re: Strange changes in Chow

Post by kingalls »

Would you consider raw food? I feed my 2 Chowdren raw green tripe. Their kibble is Solid Gold but they love their green tripe.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
phoenixrizing13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by phoenixrizing13 »

Is she on flea control? If so, it may have stopped working. If not, she may need it. Itching around the tail and butt is often a sign of fleas. Has your vet done any kind of skin testing? It could be some kind of skin infection, like ringworm or a yeast infection, that's making her so itchy.
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

Is it the *Censored Word* area that is the itch part? If so have a groomer express them. I never had to have it done, but have heard of others.

have her thyroid checked T3 or T4 test? Jasmine stopped eating, well enough to keep her alive but she was a differnt dog. Hair got thin
had severe allergies to fleas. once the vet did teh bloodwork for us, we put her on proplan lamb and rice. she is on soloixn 2x a day and flea treatment.
She is back to being my girl again. Took about a month for meds to kick in and hair to start filling back out.

those are my recommendations. I hope it helps

missy
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Missy,
No, not the rectum area, but the urethra/vaginal area. Vet does not think it is related to *Censored Word* glands.
I just put her back on Solid Gold and she is eating. Also, she has let me brush her twice in the last three days. Hmmmmm.....I know my stress level has been down. Perhaps she was reacting to that? I got really stressed out over my little pomeranian..he was in a tracheal collapse crises of sorts for about a week. Now he is past that and holding his own, doing really well.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose