Suki & Infected Hot Spot ???? HELP

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SuKi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Suki & Infected Hot Spot ???? HELP

Post by SuKi »

Hi everyone

We are new Chow owners, well i say new we have had them for about 5months at the moment.

Suki our female chow has developed a hot spot just above her tail , we noticed it in the morning and by the afternoon when we could get her to the vets she had chewed it until it was twice the size and weeping and raw.

We rushed her to the vet's that evening and were told that it is a hot spot! We asked the vet if it would be due to diet or maybe hormone change, but they said that it would be neither.The vet tried to clip around it but our loving chow who would normally allow anyone to do anything with her just went crazy , yelping and struggling.
We have been given a cream to put on it three times a day and some antibiotics twice a day, but over the last 24 hours it appears to be getting worse it now looks to me to be infected, with a puss like discharge, it is such a struggle to get near her to put any cream on the area.
It appears to be getting less itchy..... but maybe that is just us looking for the good in this.
She now has a funnel collar on and is not happy about life on bit, my main concern is about the possible infection, i would have hoped that after a couple of days on the antibiotics and "some" cream on the wound it would have started to look a lot better.The fur around it has dried but I would say that the wound itself is keeping the immediate are wet ?????
Anyone with any suggestions would be great as we just can't stand to see her so unhappy.

Our little boy is in great shape and after being told by Suki to leave her alone Pepper has finally got the message but is bored out of his head without his playmate :o(

Will get around to posting some pics but at the moment Suki is not feeling up to a photo shoot.

Many thanks in advance frome Suki's mum and dad.
SuKi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Suki & Infected Hot Spot ???? HELP

Post by SuKi »

Well we took suki back to the vet's on saturday and the battle began, after the vet trying to clean it up they had to give in and sedate her ,.Good news it's looking a lot better , she's still not happy about the collar but the spot is starting to heal and she is getting back to herself now.

How long do these things take to heal normally ?????
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Suki & Infected Hot Spot ???? HELP

Post by Missystone »

Jasmine had hotspots that got really out of control. After much testing it turned out to be severe allergy to fleas and her thryroid was not working right.
Put her on meds, took care of fleas (which we never could find one) and her hot spots went away. She has a recurring on one her inner thigh, we just work with it.

Good luck
missy