Severe Allergies and Itching

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Severe Allergies and Itching

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

HELP!! Has anyone had any luck with any medications for allergies? My baby has been chewing on her paws and scratching her eyes until her skin bleeds. I have tried Benadryl and Temaril P (which the Vet gave me). Last spring the Temaril seemed to work great. This year, nothing is working. I don't know what to do! The hair around her eyes and her paws and legs is falling out. She is just miserable! Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Amy
ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Severe Allergies and Itching

Post by TJordan »

Do you think they are seasonal allergies, because they could be food related allergies as well. Corn and Wheat in food sometimes will cause reactions as well.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm finally seeing the other side with Lily for skin infections and hotspots. She has been on antibiotics so long for bacterial infections she now has yeast infections. Last year she also had her first allergic spring ever, and she is almost 5. Here is what I am currently doing- I am switching Lily to a grain free diet. She is going from Nature's Recipe Venison & Rice to Blue Buffalo Wilderness. She loves it. I switched feeding sardines which are rich in Omegas to using fish oil gel caps. I can control the dose, and they (both my girls) love them. Plus I don't retch. I also am giving Enzymes and probiotics to restore poor Lily's gut flora. I have also seen articles that recommend adding lemon juice to the water, and also when rinsing at bathtime to use a vinegar/water tincture to change the ph on the skin. This can only be done if there are no open sores, which at the moment, is impossible for Lily. For spot treatment I am using Sentry hotspot treatment. It is non-stinging and seems to work.

I would continue using the Benedryl, but also treat as though your baby has yeast skin infections. If you are able, have the vet diagnose for possible bacterial skin infections by scraping. These cannot be cured over the counter, as I have sadly learned the hard way. On a positive note, Lily is finally getting her fur back!

It is frustrating, but you can over-come this, just keep at it!
sockmunkey1969
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sockmunkey1969 »

I absolutely think they are seasonal. She is fine except in the spring. The bleeding is new this year though. She is only scratching above her eyes to that extreme. I do have some of those fish oil capsules that the vet gave me as well. Do you puncture them and add them to their food Auddymay? That is what the vet told me to do. They are huge. I can't imagine just having her swallow them. If we can just get thru the next few weeks.... ugh. I just hate seeing her so miserable. Do you think changing her diet will help if it is just seasonal allergies?

Thank you,
Amy
ImageImage
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

The first time I gave Coco a fish oil capsule, she didn't know what to do with it, but when she chew on it, the capsule broke and she got the fish oil in her mouth and she loved it. Now I give her the capsules like a treat, she loves them. Try to give her the pills like it is something special, like you would do when you give her a really good treat.

If your chow is hurting her skin so badly, try to put socks on her paws. The sock will proctect the paw from constant licking, and it will also protect her eyes from her nails. If it is not enough, leave her with a cone , especially when you cannot check on her because you're away for a few hours or when you sleep at night. She will be uncomfortable at first but will soon get used to it and be fine. It will help her skin heal while the allergy season is ending.
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/