Bitters Surgery Date Set

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bitters Surgery Date Set

Post by TJordan »

Well Butters is having hip surgery next week. It has finally gotten to the point where it can't wait any longer. He isn't getting around too well. They had wanted him to loose a little more weight first but it has to be done now. So next Tuesday the 20th he will be having his 2nd hip surgery. The first one his left hip was done at 8 months. Now he is 5 (almost 6) and the right hip is really bad.

I am worried that he won't recover as well, worried about the surgery, just worried in general at this point! Wish us luck!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bitters Surgery Date Set

Post by Sirchow »

Such a worrying time but I'm sure Butters will be fine and hopefully enjoy life a lot more after he recovers. Hugs to you and Butters, Tammy [:D]
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Good luck Butters, I'll be thinking of you.. I too should have lost some weight before surgery (I did alittle but not enough).. :oops:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

LOL I can't believe i put Bitters in the Subject line LOL.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I thought you were reflecting his attitude toward surgery...lol. Good luck Butters, don't be bitter!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh he will be Pissed come next tuesday, I am not sure Bitter will cover his upcoming mood!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Thats funny Auddy I too thought it was a play on Butters name.. Well than you will have to Butter , Bitters Up alittle then after surgery..LOL
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Don't worry, you're doing the right thing if poor Butters is suffering too much.
Do you think it will change his personnality for the best? I mean, if he's not in pain anymore, maybe he'll become a sweet different Butters after he recovers :wink: ??
Will be thinking of you anyway [:D] ...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Good luck Butters, (you really are a sweet Butters, Iam sure Mommy just tells us the funny stories).. :wink:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Actually since he has been hurting he has become this big fluffy love ball. He wants to just lay there and be loved on. Usually he will tolerate only so much love, then get up and leave, now he paws at you to get you to love on him. I think he is always sweet, but this is not my dog. #-o As much as I love this new side of him, I kind of miss the rotten side :twisted:
SweetPea Rocks!!
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

Good luck Butters, wish you swift recovery. And let rotten side to return :wink:
Mishka and his family
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

will be thinking of you, and sending healing thoughts across the pond, from us all here at chowshuskies
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Good luck Butters, feel better soon!!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Thanks Guys, he will need the well wishes!
SweetPea Rocks!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Surgery went well, he is home and resting. He is fighting sleep like a rotten child! The vet called at 2:30 requesting a 3;00 pick up. They had him in a room with the door shut and a trash can against it in case cImage
Imagehowzilla broke out. I thought it a bit extreme since he can barely walk but :roll: He is still in a bunch of pain and we are trying to keep him still.
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

poor Butters, I feel for him.. He sure doesn't look like the Butters we see in all the other pictures.. Hope hes up and around (when its safe for him)soon. I think the trash can was probably over kill .. LOL from looking at him laying there.
Get Better Butters...
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Wow, that's quite a big incision :shock: . Hope his recovery is fast! The vet & staff must have a lot of "respect" for Butters if they are barracading the door when Butters is still groggy from sedation - :lol:
Big hugs to Butters.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Poor Butters and you...dont suppose you got much sleep. It is horrible to see them in pain. I hope he feels better soon and can get back to his routine and it will have been worth it. [:D]
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Kim - Suki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kim - Suki »

Glad the surgery all went well for you and Butters. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self soon enough. Hope his recovery goes well! x
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

I'm glad that Butters s OK. Wish him speedy recovery.
Mishka and his family
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

LOL Yes a lot of respect for him! I like the way you put that! There wasn't much sleep happening in our house last night. He was talking to me and letting me know he was hurting. So I spent most of the night in the floor loving on him. That is the only way he would lay still and go back to sleep!

We had severe thunderstorms here last night, a tornado about 15 miles east of us, and Butters decided that he really needed to got outside, I assumed he needed to go pp. Instead he went out and laid in the rain, so we spent some time getting soaked and holding an umberella over his majesty!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I was just thinking about Butters .. Hope hes feeling better. Hows he doing now?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well last night he started throwing up. He won't eat anything except chicken. He isn't drinking as much as I think he should be. I am not really sure what is going on. We do have a check up appt. this afternoon so maybe we will see if this is normal. He seems to be hobbling around decently, but still in a lot of pain! We are suppose to start P.T. this week so perhaps this will help more!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, poor Butters, I hope he gets a good report from the dr..maybe the pain meds are upsetting him alittle I know human meds for pain can do a number on your stomach and appetite. And maybe he just likes chicken now, nothing odd about that. hehe Butters would have me melted into giving him anything he wanted with those big brown eyes.
Hugs and purple kisses to you Butters.. from Nikki :wink:
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well the Vet said his leg is looking good, she is happy with the way he is walking on it, not too much but just enough. So we start P.T. this week, she said it would be about 4 more weeks of no running/jumping. She gave him some meds to settle his tummy, I think they are starting to work already, last night he was acting more perky than he had in a week.

Butters is a a high stress dog. And everytime he gets stressed his tummy is out of control. It could be a combo. of all that has happened in the past week. So once he calms down all will be back to normal. He is getting a little stir crazy, and keeps begging for walks, (they aren't allowed just yet) He would have to hobble, but he still wants his walks. :roll: I am going to have to find a way to keep him from going nuts being so confined!
SweetPea Rocks!!