Melanoma treatment

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Melanoma treatment

Post by Aslan »

Hi All, Its been awhile since I have post any. I am in need of your guidance. My little boy is sick. Aslan has been diagnosed with Melanoma. I took him to see an oncologist last Friday and had his first Melanoma vaccine. He is due back in 2 weeks for his second shot. The oncologist has check Aslan's lymph nodes and took some sample for the lab. I am afraid the Melanoma has spread to his lymph nodes. He is not in pain and is still normal. I am pondering if I want to put Aslan through Radiation. Have any of you have experience with this? I have talked to the Oncologist about the side affect, it sounds like it just more cosmetic. But I want to hear from a pet parent. Any suggestion would be greatly appreiated. My main goal: 1. Aslan should NEVER, EVER be in any pain. 2. His quality of life should not change.

Questions on radiation:
1. Is there any pain as the result of the radiation?
2. Has the radiation have keep the Melanoma from spreading?
Aslanchow
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Melanoma treatment

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry to hear this. Our chowmix, Bear, had lymphoma and we did not have any treatments for him. He was almost 14, and we didn't want to put him through any more. He wasn't in any pain either. His lymph nodes were all swollen, naturally. I haven't been any help, but wanted to let you know I'm sorry about this, and wish you and Aslan the best.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I'm so sorry to hear that Aslan has Melanoma. I don't have advice just my prayers for Aslan and you. [-o|
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Hi All,
Thank you for all the kind words. I will stop crying for now and do everything I can to make my baby comfortable. I have been reading on radiation treatment and I think I will go ahead with it. It does seem the radiation can reduce pain and keep the cancer at bay. I will talk with the Oncologist in the morning and we will move ahead with it. Cross your fingers for my boy and we will fight this. I will let Aslan tell me when its time, but for now, we will fight til the every end.
Wish us luck!!!
Aslanchow
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope I'm posting this link correctly. On another site there is a man who went through this with his chow. He says the treatments don't bother animals like they do people and his chow walked out of the vets office like nothing had happened. She lived 3 1/2 yrs. longer than they thought they would, so it sounds like Aslan has a good chance. Good luck!
http://www.mychowchow.org/index.php?topic=1269.0
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand