Skin Problems - Black Stuff / Balding! HELP!

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Skin Problems - Black Stuff / Balding! HELP!

Post by AngelsMom »

Hi Guys!

Before we head to the vet I wanted to get people's opinion... I've been online for hours and can't figure out what is wrong with Angel.

She has several spots of receding skin all over her body. It appears the skin is peeling off and clumping into what I can only describe as black clumps (makes me think of flea dander but it isn't - bigger, grosser feeling). When I brush it the skin shows through. Her skin is really, really shiny - both the top coat and under coat of fur are gone! She is SO itchy... Vet said it was food allergies... then we had fleas... and now I have no idea what is going on? Maybe mange? Anyone have any thoughts? Our Greyhound seems fine! She's also had several ear infections over the last few weeks... She has a clumpy brown residue in her right ear - left ear is fine! She seems like her normal self other wise - eating normally and walking fine. HELP!
Zhuyos mom

Re: Skin Problems - Black Stuff / Balding! HELP!

Post by Zhuyos mom »

If the black stuff is attached to the fur that is coming off, it is her dead, dry skin exfoliating. Does it look like something is burning her skin off? It does sound like allergies since it is happening all over her body. Not sure if it is food, I don't remember if you've ever shared what Angel eats, but it could be environmental like something you've cleaned the floors with or washed her blankets with or fertilizer on your garden or a grassy area she walks on.

Does the goo that comes out of her ears smell? If it smells there could be an infection and you should bring her back to the vet.

Did the vet rule out mange?
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

The black stuff is attached to the fur - it looks just like something is burning her skin off... it looks so painful! She has had a lot of food allergies - she is on Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato and it seemed to be working for almost 3 years. Maybe they changed something in their recipe? We got a Swiffer Wet Jet a few months ago? Maybe it was that?

The ear does smell when it is infected. We have a special vet provided medicine for it because it has been coming and going for a while. I really think her recent spirt of food allergies is actually something else and maybe the vet misdiagnosed and it got worse.

We are definitely going to the vet no matter what but they won't get us in until at least Tuesday so I was curious what other people thought.

I saw mange online. I saw so many things but nothing fit definitely. I googled pictures of each and kept ending up at animal testing sites and couldn't stand the thought.

My poor baby!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

AngelsMom wrote: We got a Swiffer Wet Jet a few months ago? Maybe it was that?
Try not using the wet jet for a couple of weeks and see if something changes in Angel's skin. I can't use Pine Sol (which I use to use to clean our deck and cemented areas) because Miss Pooh Bear reacts to it.

Surfing the internet is useful but scary. You can come up will all sorts of ailments!

Good luck.
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Thanks for your help!!

We have been to the vet: Seboorea! It's like severe dry skin. She's going to live! YEAH!

Just some special shampoo and some ear drops to clear up the ear infection.
:D
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

I just read your post. My darling chow had similiar problems but he definitely has seborrhea. I went through hell and back to get him back on the right track. He lost a lot of hair and it seemed so hard to get it to grow back. The Vet gave us all sorts of shampoos, antibiotics etc. Nothing happened. I did my research and here is what I did to bring back his hair with no itcyness, flakes etc. My groomer bathe him with Douxo shampoo only, then she uses the Eqyss Meka-Tek coat rebuilder and leave in for 10 minutes. Rinse. Then she rub some of this rebuilder into the bald spots and leave it on. It is safe to do so. In between shampooing, I apply the Douxo Seborrhea Spot-on which is an antiseborrheic solution containing phytosphiingosine on those areas that are affected. For the ears, I used Douxo ear seborrhea solution. It's called Douxo Micellar Solution. A God's sent as his ears became normal again. That cleared up my dogs skin tremendously and his hair is growing back so wonderful. You do not need to get these products from the Vet as they sell them online. If the Vet sell it to you, it will be at a much higher price than the internet prices and you don't need a prescription online. On another note, same topic, if you feel it might also be allergies, Douxo comes in a calm micro-emulsion spray - which I also used. This is a wonderful product. The product is made by Sogeval. I also give my dog 1000mg of Omega, a skin and coat chewable tablet with omega-3,6& 9 along with vitamin A which is a much needed vitamin for dogs if they do not get enough of it in there foods. This vitamin does promotes healthy sking and shiny coat (which my dog has) and it relieves dry itchy sking and also reduces excessive shedding. This is a wonder vitamin. It is made by Total Pet Health. My Vet is aware of the above and said I am doing a great job with my dog. When he last saw my dog, he was so surprised of the results and how shiny his coat is. I am sure he is referring this product to other folks whose dogs have this dry skin situation. Just wanted to share my story.
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

Please get the thyroid tests done. I know the vet says its a skin issue, my vet said the same thing at first. But someone from this site recommended the T3 and T4 testing done. I did it and it turned out to not be a skin issue. I had already purchased the special shampoo and oil caps for her. Within 2 months of being on thryoid medication, all her fur came back and she is backto being a big fluffy happy chow.

Good Luck

Missy
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Thanks for your story user952824! Because of Angel's allergies I am going to stick what the vet gave us for now but will share your recommendations with her and see what she thinks if this doesn't work!!!

Missy: we did get a thyroid test done and it came back normal. I didn't realize there was more than one test. I will check in with the vet and see which one we got done and see if she thinks we need another one done. Thank you for your help!

The shampoo and lots of brushing seem to be helping... she is still chewing her front paws like crazy but we will take what we can get! :)
Gila
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gila »

Hey angelsmom :) I have a white chow as well, she's almost 9 yrs old, and she chews her feet as well, so every time she starts her episodes I keep her on ivermectin, twice to 3 times a week orally. it always clears up her feet and she stops chewing on them. maybe you should look into that.. it's pretty much the only thing that keeps her from tearing herself up. apparently white chows are plagued with problems, but my tallulah bear is totally worth everything :-) she is about 40 pounds so I feed her .08mL and as I said earlier it honestly clears it all up :-)) you can get ivomec at your local feed store and there is also a generic brand, all the same.. I hope your lil chowdren are doing well, and take care
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Thank you!!!

I will ask the vet. I hadn't heard that about white chows! I thought it was just my baby girl! She's had so many problems. What does the medicine treat?? I mean is it for allergies?
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I agree, this dog needs to have her thyroid tested.

The black gue, is very t ypical of a thyroid dog

Cheers
MM
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!