Slug eating?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Slug eating?

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Ever catch your Chow eating or playing with slugs? I found this on my house last night where earlier in the day she was gleefully pouncing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limax_maximus - if you see the picture of the entangled slugs with blue slime i had that, guess they were mating. I read that they have parasites and with human consumption it can be mildly poisonous, causing diarrhea. My girl, kept waking me up every hour last night to go out to pee, with 2 bowel movements, some straining. On top of peeing the bedding twice, not usual for her, she's potty trained quite well now. Any thoughts or experience?
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Slug eating?

Post by chowhuskylass »

in our vets surgery it has a poster on slugs, the parasite they carry is called lungworm, if they are mildly toxic to humans then i can only presume they will be mildly toxic to our chows/dogs, to what degree i do not know as i am no vet, if she has an upset stomach from tasting/eating a slug the reaction to it may have caused her to drink more hence the peeing so thats to be expected, I do not have personal experiance, and depending on her age e.g a puppy, i would not wait really, but if the sickness lasts more than night at most if she stops taking fluids or eating i would be straight to the vets just in case, to be honest i would have contacted my vet the minute i saw her tasting a slug and learned they were toxic to humans, i have very good kind vets. How is she now, after her experiance?
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

She is fine. Vet said not to worry. I worry anyway! #-o It was so coincidental the same evening she was pouncing & lurking around the corner of our house. She chases bugs and whatnot, but didn't see the slugs until later on when it was almost dark. It's a scary world out there, just in our backyards you know? Let my pups out yesterday and a low,slow, flying wasp was hanging around, they immediately nosed in on it and snapped at it. I ran out there and stomped on it. :shock:
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

glad to hear your puppy is doing fine! I'm a worry-wart owner too and get really concerned with any mild change in behavior. I figure, always safe than sorry!

And good thing you mentioned slugs or I wouldn't have known they weren't good for pups!