Fiber .. confused on why and when to use

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fiber .. confused on why and when to use

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Hello,
Is anyone else confused by fiber? I call my vet today and ask what can cause soft stools. One of the reasons I was given was too much fiber. I've been trying to understand why they say to take fiber for diarrhea, then turn around and I read or I am told to take fiber for constipation. Why both?

Nem has had soft stools slightly softer than soft serve which I don't like, and has had mucous in it or fat deposits
not sure which. Nem eats Merricks with Merrick can, and Wellness can too. Wellness treats, and the occasional milkbone. Oh and Bully sticks he loves them.

With Proplan puppy large breed he had harder dark color stool. Which is 28/13/6 protein/fat/fiber .. 26/12/4.5 for adult large breed. Oh yea, and mixed pedigree can always with the food. 8/6/1.5 - Back then treats were like pupperonis,milkbone,tbonz,canine carry outs. (but not today, i don't feed that)

Now it's, Merrick 24/15/2.5 protein/fat/fiber - Merrick can 9/4/1 - Wellness 95% 8/6/1

Had eaten HIlls i/d before that has 26.2/14/2.7 (online says that) Bag in my closet has:22/9/3.5 protein/fat/fiber - I just emailed them to ask if they changed their formula. - Good stool on this food looked just like the food just in a stool not to hard not to soft, expensive food, high sodium though.

Seems to me it's a fat issue, he's had normal stools on the food with the most fiber. Don't you think so?

Any opinions wanted, needed, welcome. :P

I searched the forum and found this thread:
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p120366