Cost effective Hot Spot relief

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Luna's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Cost effective Hot Spot relief

Post by Luna's Mom »

I have had many chows and never knew what a "hot spot" was until one of my chows had them in her groin when we were living in the Gulf Coast region. My husband was an OR nurse, and many small tubes of perfectly good antibiotic ointments are thrown in the trash there. He brought home a small tube of betadine in a vaseline-type jelly (in a tube). Now, we had taken this chow to the vet a couple of times, and the ointments/treatments that he prescribed didn't help the hot spots, at all. We decided to spread the betadine ointment on her groins (she fought us like crazy) and then we put a plastic cone-collar on her. Within 2 days, all traces of the hot spots were gone. We took her to our vet to show him. That is his treatment of choice to this day. He was astounded at the result.
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Cost effective Hot Spot relief

Post by rufnedge-2 »

I knew immediately what caused my dogs hotspots / rash up the spine region and tail base, food. The shot and medicine was not that much money for the relief it gave. Along with shaving to keep spots dry, I used hydrogen peroxide, the next day I could tell the spots were attempting to dry. There were various stages of healing althought it took a while the crusting was a good sign and tried not to touch them to much, as our hands and fingers can have nasty bacteria and germs I didn't want to transmit to the hotspot.