Leroy is having surgery on wednesday

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Leroy is having surgery on wednesday

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

Hey chow lovers!

We are getting Leroy neutered next Wednesday morning. The vet told us he cannot eat anything after Tuesday evening after 8 pm. I was just wondering are there any special circumstances for chows during surgery. Any advice that anyone can offer me to help Leroy through the healing stages would also be great. Are chows okay with anesthetics?

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Leroy is having surgery on wednesday

Post by willowchow »

Oh, he is CUTE!! I don't really know about the specifics but they are sensitive to some anesthesias and I believe I've read that there is a certain kind that should be used. I don't think he's going to have much in the way of recovery time, they usually have to be kept from jumping and minimal stairs, etc for about 5 days or so. But, Willow was spayed late in life and even she was fine within 2-3 days. They might give him pain meds for the first night, it depends on the vet. And, they might tell you to only give water for so many hours after he gets home. With Willow, they didn't want me to feed her until the next morning if I remember right.

I'm sure he'll do great, but good luck Leroy!!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Pretty normal to not feed them the night before surgery. Chows can't take the anesthesia like most dogs. There is a pre-anesthisa sedative that they give, then make sure the vet uses isoflorane gas while doing the surgery. The gas is effective only while being administered so when they stop giving the gas, your Chow will come out of it immediatey - versus other methods which leaves them "dopey" for many hours. Chow cannot tolerate sedatives the way other dogs can tolerate sedatives. Most often the sedatives are dispersed by the dog's weight - this is not the method for Chows because of their physical differences from regular dogs...their heart can't take it....make sure your vet is Chow savy when it comes to anesthisa.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Thank you for that information Karen.
:D Lori
WeLoveLeRoy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WeLoveLeRoy »

Thanks for all the info, I had heard in the past that chows are different when it comes to anestheics. Im so worried for him, hope it all goes well.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Also, the pain medicine that the vet gives them can sometimes cause them to pant nonstop. Chutters panted all night long and wouldn't move for almost 2 days. Of course I sat up with him all night, and took him in the next day. It seems that it is a side effect and happens quite often.

Of course, not knowing that, I was a nervous wreck.

But, they heal pretty quickly
Mia