Lack of urination-how long is a problem?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lack of urination-how long is a problem?

Post by AlwaysTango »

Zilla has urinated twice since he came out from under two different sedations in less than 24 hours. Both times it was about 24 hours between the times he urinated. We flushed his system with an IV on Friday, and since then he has been eating and drinking, but drinking less than usual as he is off his pred. It has now been over 24 hours since the last time he went. Before pred he was always bad about wanting to hold his bladder and only go a couple of times a day, but I am worried now. How long is too long?
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Lack of urination-how long is a problem?

Post by Juniper »

I'd call my vet immediately...24 hours is too long for a male dog, even though he's not been consuming much water. Prednisone usually increases thirst and increases urination even when you just go off it. Could have urinary tract infection...it's particularly bad for a male's small urethra and there can be blockage.
Jennifer & Sheena
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Thanks-I called the vet and am awaiting her call back.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

How is Zilla doing?
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Yes, I hope all is well w/Zilla.
Jennifer & Sheena
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Hi All,
Thanks for all the caring thoughts and everyone checking in on Zilla! He is doing much better now. The vet thought it was the switch-over from Pred to the other medicine that caused him to stop urinating. She said to watch him until the next day, and if he didn't go then to get him right in to the vet. Sure enough, he went later that night. There have been several steps back since then, but overall he seems to even be doing much better than he was in the weeks before he took his downturn. He has even put on a couple of pounds, and considering that he has lost almost 20 in the last year, that makes me happy.
Our acupuncture vet would like us to take him to the U of Florida vet school and see if they can help him further. We haven't made the appt yet, but we are certainly open to it.
Thanks again for all the concern, I will keep you guys updated.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Thanks sooooo much for the update. So glad to hear that things are on the up and up for Zilla! :D
Jennifer & Sheena