Breathing Problems, and Loud Snoring

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

PuggerATM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Breathing Problems, and Loud Snoring

Post by PuggerATM »

Hello all, I am new to this place and last night my mom brought home a brand new 11-week old Chow Chow puppy. Well, everything was fine and dandy, but last night when he feel asleep he began to snore very loud. I than began to notice when you picked him up, and when he lied down he would breath very heavy. So we called the breeder, and she said "Yes, He does breath and snore very heavy, even louder than his parents." But my mom worried, as she had a Chow Chow before and he never breathed and snored like this one. We don't know what to do. He is still very playful, and loving but his breathing is worrying all of us. My mom thought this was the problem, Elongated Soft Palate, there is a article below if you want to read. It sounds the same, but the breeder also never took him to the vet and he just got his FIRST SHOTS 2 days ago! (by her husband) So could it be a reaction? Please help!

Elongated Soft Palate
by Jennie Bullock
One of the the most common forms of airway obstruction in Brachycephalic (short muzzled) breeds is due to an elongated soft palate. The soft palate is an extension of the hard palate which forms the roof of the mouth. The purpose of the soft palate is to serve as a mobile flap preventing food and water from entering the nasal passages during swallowing. A soft palate that is elongated will either hang in front of the airway or will fall into the larynx during inhalation.
Dogs affected by chronic airway obstruction (CAO) tend to breathe rather noisily when excited. Mouth breathing, snoring and snorting are characteristics of this condition. These characteristics become even more pronounced when the dog is hot or during periods of exercise. The dogs frequently gag in an attempt to clear their airway and occasionally bring up foam and saliva while eating or drinking. The harder the dog breathes, the greater the swelling and elongation of the soft palate.
Most often an elongated soft palate is difficult to positively confirm other than while the dog is under general anesthesia, surgical correction is usually done at the same time.

Intolerance to Anesthesia
One of the largest problems facing chow owners can be complications from surgery, including death during surgery due to the chow chow's low tolerance to anesthesia. There are certain anesthetics that are safer, as well as methods, such as intubating, that will lower the risk of death. One theory concerning chows and death by anesthesia claims that chows have relatively small hearts compared to their body weight, and since anesthesia is dosed according to weight, some chows have been given too much and the heart stops. Whatever the reason, there is a connection and greater risk with chows than many other breeds. Greater success has been seen in the past with the use of isoflurane gas and intubation

Thank you,
Alex
Zhuyos mom

Re: Breathing Problems, and Loud Snoring

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site, Alex.

I'm not sure if there really is a problem with your chowling at this juncture. Other members might be able to shed more light with respects to your chowling's case. Maybe on Monday, you or your mom can bring your new fellow to your vet and ask them to make a diagnosis. If they think your boy will experience future breating problems, then your mom should talk to the breeder. As for the shots, some breeders do their own vaccinating and microchipping if they are able to obtain the medications and paraphanalia.

My chows have snored since they were chowlings and each one's snore varies from how deep they sleep. They have on occasion, talked in their sleep, dig for treasure and run in their sleep. The shorter the muzzle, the more snores per chow. Meaning, the younger my chows were, the more snoring I heard. For now, enjoy your little bundle of fluff and don't worry too much.

Thank you also for posting the article. Many of us here advocate the use of isoflurane gas when our chows have to endure surgery and the such.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

PuggerATM wrote:...Well, everything was fine and dandy, but last night when he feel asleep he began to snore very loud. I than began to notice when you picked him up, and when he lied down he would breath very heavy. So we called the breeder, and she said "Yes, He does breath and snore very heavy, even louder than his parents."...and he just got his FIRST SHOTS 2 days ago! (by her husband) So could it be a reaction?
The link below contains close-up photos of various breathing apparatus problems, plus mentions narrow trachea, to review with your vet. While the breathing might be *more* congested as part of a recent vaccine reaction, the breeder admits that your pup has had a breathing problem before the injections were given, and you describe it as being more obvious when he's stressed about being picked up or is lying down.

topic - Elongated Soft Palate/Stenotic Nares/Laryngeal Saccules
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7903
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

It is possible there is a problem and you should get the little one to vet to be checked out. However, I have had four chows and all of them snore very loudly. Some run (or at least their feet do) and talk in their sleep as well. Right now, Cinder and Teddy are both sleeping loudly, DH is snoring away and it is very loud here. I suspect the hospital helicopter going by overhead wonders what the noise is. For me, it has become my own personal white noise machine. And it needs no electricity.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Brandeen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Brandeen »

Nice meeting you here Alex. Like you I am new here too. I felt so sad for your chow chow. You are right in your suspicion that the dog has a so called soft palate disorder. It can cause a snoring problem to your dog. Soft Palate is actually a congenital defect of the fleshy tissue at the back of the dog's throat separating the oral and nasal cavities. There are two types of soft palate disorder, the cleft soft palate and the elongated soft palate. In your dog's case, ti must have an elongated soft palate based on the signs and symptoms you described. Elongated soft palate causes increased airway noise, breathing difficulty especially during hot weather and the evident of upper airway diseases like laryngeal collapse. This is the reason why your chow chow releases a heavy loud snoring.

However, don't worry much about it Alex, you can treat your dog's snoring problem which as follows:

1. Your dog which experiences an elongated soft palate must be treated surgically between 4 to 24 months of age. It can be done by shortening its palate to a more normal length using a scalpel or a laser.

2. If your dog encounter traumatic injuries to its palate, this must be treated shortly after the injury to ensure that any perforating material isn't left behind its throat that may results to further problems. So better prevent it from occurring so.

After the surgery, your chow chow should be closely monitored for respiratory difficulty and it means staying your dog at the veterinary hospital 1 to 2 days after this procedure.

Feel at ease now and take care of your pet after deciding to undergo it to surgery.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Snoring...I've gotten used to the loud snoring for 6 years that my Sheena's been with me...however, Sheena is now 9.5 years old. Sometimes Sheena likes to sleep with her chin raised on a pillow, sometimes her entire head is on the pillow...which stops her snoring and then I don't need to wear any earplugs to get to sleep. I think her own snoring keeps her awake sometimes. I don't really worry about it since I've been told I snore sometimes as well. lol
Jennifer & Sheena
jounderw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jounderw »

We have had some light breathing problems with our chow too but after taking him to the vet, we were assured that it was really no big deal. I would certainly go speak to your vet, just to be sure that its not something bigger, but our chow snores every night when he goes to bed and I was told not to worry about it.
i could really use a wish right now