garlic powder

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

garlic powder

Post by Coco Chow »

I'm looking for something natural for Coco so she won't get flea bites (Frontline & Advantix make her scratch terribly).

I heard giving 1 spoon of garlic powder in their meal 3 days in a row can protect them against insects.
Anyone know if it's true?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: garlic powder

Post by Sylvia »

I am giving Sweetie these vitamins. http://www.fleaaway.com/
I've never had fleas in my yard, and if I can I like to avoid using pesticides (although Sweetie is on heartgard). I showed these to Sweeties vet and he doesn't actually believe they will work for fleas but said they won't hurt her. So I give them to Sweetie 1-2 pills a day. They are liver flavored so she thinks they are treats and will eat it right up. So far so good, but if you have a heavily infested flea area, these might not work.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Thanks Sylvia, I will check the website you gave me.
My area is not at all infested with fleas, but I take Coco to the park every morning, it's not a dog park, it's like a little forrest, there is grass, trees, bushes, flowers, etc... I think there is a good risk she might be bitten by something sooner or later if I don't protect her one way or another!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

If the flea-away contains brewer's yeast, Coco will probably have a problem with it. She had a problem with the Platinum food containing brewer's yeast. She also had a systemic yeast problem (allergic itch reaction). Brewer's yeast is an itch trigger for such dogs.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Ok thanks, no brewers yeast for Coco! :D

So basically, would you say it would be ok to try to give her the powder garlic as long as there is no brewers yeast inside too?
Elodie
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Coco Chow wrote:Ok thanks, no brewers yeast for Coco! :D

So basically, would you say it would be ok to try to give her the powder garlic as long as there is no brewers yeast inside too?
Even if it was pure garlic, I don't think it would make much difference. I think you would be better off balancing her diet (lower pro-inflammatory ingredients and increase anti-inflammatory ingredients), adding the high potency probiotics, etc., so that she doesn't over-react to every irritant in her environment, including the 'frontline'. A better diet changes the skin pH and it becomes less attractive to fleas.

You might also try misting her fur with vinegar before you set out for the park.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Oh yes, the flea away product does contain brewer's yeast, so if Coco is sensitive to this, it would be a problem like Kiwani says. When I started Sweetie on this, I only gave her one tablet every other day or two just to see if she might get a reaction. Eventually, I got her to what she takes now, one to two tablets a day, and she has been fine.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I use shampoo with citronella in it during the summer Elodie. Never had any fleas here!
Thank you Elodie!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Layla, is it the only protection they receive against fleas?
Elodie
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

The problem with citronella is that it can be a skin irritant for
sensitive individuals.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Coco Chow wrote:Layla, is it the only protection they receive against fleas?
Yes. I don't give any heartworm (not a risk area here) or flea meds I take them out to woods, camp with them, etc, etc. Fingers crossed they aren't sensitive to it & have never gotten fleas. Millie also comes to work with me a lot, lots of dogs there :D
Thank you Elodie!