Throwing up 3 weeks after surgery

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Throwing up 3 weeks after surgery

Post by Buddha4me »

Hi All, need some help. As some of you may know Buddha had surgery for a torn ACL on 3/13, and has been recoverying well. However, in the last week or so he has been throwing up undigested food in the middle of the night, usually between 3-6AM. He doesn't get pain meds everynight, only if he seems to need it. But he does get excited sometimes and over does it on the activity, so I have to give him a pain pill. Until recently it didn't make him sick. I don't know if he's getting sick from the pill or the pain? I took him to the vet last week, she thought he was getting too much activity. We're trying to keep him still, but you know how hard that is. This morning he got sick 3 times! I slipped in it once, and ended up having to go to the chiropractor because I messed my back all up. I don't want him to suffer, but don't want to drug him unneccisarily either, please help!
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Throwing up 3 weeks after surgery

Post by kiwani »

Buddha4me wrote:I took him to the vet last week, she thought he was getting too much activity. We're trying to keep him still, but you know how hard that is. This morning he got sick 3 times! I slipped in it once, and ended up having to go to the chiropractor because I messed my back all up. I don't want him to suffer, but don't want to drug him unneccisarily either, please help!
At your last vet visit, I mentioned that I didn't think it was a good idea to add daily acepromazine to the pain med. I mentioned that the pain med can cause *stomach problems* and hyperactivity. The acepromazine also has an *anti-vomiting* effect. It seems that your Chow may be stuck with the undigested food upchuck until the acepromazine dose wears off, (so that he can vomit the undigested food). You would count the amount of hours the ace dose is effective - what time you dose the ace, what time he upchucks.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 3&p=158189
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

He hasn't been getting the pain meds or ace on a regular basis at all. But I did find a thread here about Rimadyl causing problems, he is on Derramax. I called the ER vet place that did his surgery, they said to take him off of the Derramax immediatly and give him 10 mg of Pepcid for a week, and to cut the pain pill in 1/2 when we do give it to him. Hope it helps, I hate for him to be miserable in any way. Last night did didn't get ace at all, but did get a pain pill and then Derramax a few hours later around 9:30PM, he then got sick at 4:30AM.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

The damage is done. You might research NSAIDS and ulcers. :(