Itching problem

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

baileyscaroline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Itching problem

Post by baileyscaroline »

Dear all,

I find this is very stressfull, I have a baby chow at the age of 3 months, he always itches. I bring him to the doctor, 1st doctor dont even says he is sick, he has no flea he has no tick bla bla bla, so no need to worry. but after a week, he still doing the same thing scratching all over the body. I bring him to another vet, and this doc says he has hot spot.. so I need to buy this cream and put it on the spot.. but this isnt help after a week time by bathing him with medicated shampoo etc etc. i bring him again to another vet, and this time the doc says, there is no hot spot, this is just a food alergic. and he gave me pills to cure..

but it still didnt help at all.he still scratching the tummy, the elbow and ear.

sigh.. anyone has clue?
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Itching problem

Post by Coco Chow »

Well... I thought I would tell you about Coco. :wink:
Coco has always been scratching, since I got her as a puppy too.
She's had hot spots too but it was on her back, she licked her paws to blood too, etc...
After months and months wondering what we could do, we finally put her on an exclusive diet of anti-allergen food and we started desensitization shots after a blood test (we found out she's also having acarids and flea bites allergies).
It's been a few months now and Coco is finally a normal chow!
Good luck if you have an allergic animal too because it's quite a pain to be honest.
But it's not necessary allergies for your puppy, it may be insects biting him for ex?
Where do you live? What do you feed him? And what's his name?!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Vaccinations can also contribute to adverse allergic skin reactions.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It may be food related. Some Chows re-act badly to corn and wheat by-products. If you buy in a grocery store, you are likely giving these by-products. You will have to go into a petstore. The cost of the premium brands is higher, but the animal uses more of it, needing a bit less food, and pooping a lot less in the yard. Also, you do not have to get the top-flight of foods, there are some good brands that are just a bit higher than the grocery store fare.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Thought this thread was going to be moved out of the training forum : )
Trooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trooper »

Hello....please read the post I just left on....I replied to: "My last resort to help Troy"
I detailed the skin/itching problems I have had with my Trooper since I brought him home. I hope my suggestions help with the change of food and the sprinkle of supplements and also when you do get an open sore what to do 'over the counter' products. Good luck.
Brenda & 'Trooper'
baileyscaroline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by baileyscaroline »

her name is baileys caroline von twinstar kenneth.

Finally I gave her this itching medicine, and she's fine now.. now I cant just handle how naughty she is.. sigh..
generalofhell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by generalofhell »

I have a chow with itchy problem till now try to take her to the vet and get a skin craping sample and check for "mites"..mites are microscopic things that cause itchiness and hair fall mostly around the eyes legs ears and tail, a vet must see under a microscope if they are ther or not,in my dog that was the case she had mites the vet adviced use "amitraz" its a liquid medecine thats u add to water and bath the dog with plus "lori soap" anti mites ticks fleas and other things..after bathing you must not dry your dog leave it till it drys on its own..hope to have helped u a lil bit if that was ur case in ur dog
Zilla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zilla »

My chows were itching too until I switched their food. I do solid gold puppy now and they stopped itching within 2 weeks. I also add salmon oil to their food. And sunday mornings they get a raw egg mixed with their dry. The fats and oils really help with their skin and they coat is just gorgeous and so soft. I'm going to keep them on puppy until they are 3 years old....chows need that extra fat.
Zilla
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Hi all,

Winston is now 15 weeks old and the sratching has started, having a cross 10 year old who is prone to hotspots I have some idea what to do.

Starting yesterday I have put him on a mince/ rice diet just so I can isolate his dry food. Have washed him tonight in medicated shampoo and just now put some steroid cream on his wounds. He has the start of a hotspot on his belly, rash more like a graze on both armpits.

My question is providing the food is the cause of the itching, how long would you think it takes for the itching to stop ? hard aso when the rash is already there ?

Thoughts ?

Steve

PS- He is due for his 3rd vacination so will also raise it with the vet when I visit

UPDATE - SOLVED see http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 67#p164567
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Very interesting information.. thank you for passing it along.. I hope this helps winston with his troubles.
I had a pug/sharpei that had terrible skin problems so I know what you're dealing with.