Puppy with Fever?

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

edgarfilipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy with Fever?

Post by edgarfilipe »

Hi, just joined on this forum, and first of all thx for all the information here about chows i feel like i will be here loads of times.

Here's what my little chow Kira is experiencing.

She's still a young puppy born at 28 February 2009, and i just got her yesterday.

I had to make like 200 Km to get her (and another chow) and before i reach my destination (my home) i stopped so she could rest a little and do her "stuff", it was a little chilly at that location and after that i got home.

A couple of hours after that she began with some tremors and shacking a little when she was as sleep or when i pick her up while awake.

First day passed with no worries, she eat, drink loads of water and made her necessities, but today she began with the same tremors than yesterday.

I decided to take her temperature just in case, and she was with 37,5º C and my mom decided to give her a little of paracetamol in a seringe with some water inside and Kira took a little of it.

Right now she's sleeping and i'm planning to take her temperature in a few hours again.

I have a few questions about this:

1- Is 37,5º C to high for a chow?
2- Could the tremmors been caused by the new Home that she has now because she was taken from their parents recently?

Another things that might be important to this issue is that she took Yesterday morning 1 Injection and the Fluid in her mouth to desinfest her. (the very first 2 things that dogs need to take at this age or something like that)

Soory for my rusty english and my BAD knowledge of dog terms and issues that i can't explain properly, but i'm counting on you to learn more about this so i can help my puppy Kira.

Thanks.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Puppy with Fever?

Post by kiwani »

edgarfilipe wrote:1- Is 37,5º C to high for a chow?
2- Could the tremmors been caused by the new Home that she has now because she was taken from their parents recently?
Welcome! 37.5C is in the normal range temperature (37.5 - 39.2C)

She is very young, and the tremors can be from being afraid, (especially after traveling so long a time), from losing her mother, brothers and sisters. The puppies sleep together and it is easier for them to keep warm and feel safe. Alone, it's harder for a tiny puppy to feel warm and safe. All the medicines affect the body too. Please be careful about giving medicines without the doctor's advice, because she is so young.

Give Kira our best wishes. We all look forward to seeing her
grow up into a beautiful and healthy Chow.
edgarfilipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by edgarfilipe »

uff.. thank you

now the temperature is 38.0 º

she is waking up while she's sleeping and barking sometimes.. must be nightmares or something lol

i hope everything is ok with here by tomorrow.

Thanks again, i'm felling much better ;)
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

How is Kira today?

I would not worry about her temperature as 38 seems fine to me for a puppy. And I agree with Kiwani, I wouldn't give her any medicine, unless the vet told you to.
By the way, do you plan to take her to your vet soon? It's always good to show a puppy when you just got it to check that everything is fine.

Will you show us pictures of Kira? Chow puppies are so cute... :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
edgarfilipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by edgarfilipe »

Hi again.. sorry i forgot to check the forum for a while.. and forgot to say thanks again :)

Kira is great, but i'm concerned with behavior problems that she's having at the moment towards other female chow. I opened another topic on the proper section.

Kira is now 6 Months old, i will post some pictures tomorrow because i don't have any with me, i will take care of that tomorrow.

Regarding the Vet, she went to the vet a few days after those doubts that i had, and that behavior was completely normal, she was just afraid of her new home, but she's doing great :)