allergies??

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

shybabyboo22
Rank 0
Rank 0

allergies??

Post by shybabyboo22 »

my dog has been chewing at his lower back for awhile now. it looks alot like dry skin. he has chewed to where he has sores. he's now doing it to his legs. and his eye is always runny and has mucus coming out of it. he has itched that area as well, so there is no hair on half of the right side of his face. i dont have any money to take him to a vet though. i did hear from someone that their dog was pretty much the same way and their dog only needed a shot, then the dog was fine, although he didnt tell me what shot that was. we have used multiple different types of dog shampoo and conditioner and some type of dog oil, but nothing is working. we did shave him and he stopped itching for a bit, but now that his hair is growing back, he's itching again. does anyone have any idea's of what may be causing him to do this or what this may be and any kind of home care i can give him? thanks.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: allergies??

Post by kiwani »

What are you feeding him?
shybabyboo22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shybabyboo22 »

both of my dogs eat the kibbles n' bits original
shybabyboo22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shybabyboo22 »

Here are a few pictures of him.

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

shybabyboo22 wrote:both of my dogs eat the kibbles n' bits original
There's your answer right there! That food contains a *horrible* blend of ingredients, guaranteed to make a living creature ill. It contains a long list of things which *increase* itch and also drain health. *Please*, *please*, at least have a vet examine your dog's eye for ulcers. A change in better food will help heal the skin in time, but the eye is a concern.

Stay away from supermarket brands of dog food, because those contain the same blend of inferior ingredients. Try a lower priced premium brand for now, maybe something like "California Natural" salmon blend. Try no salt canned tuna with some brown rice for a few days if that's all you can get. The fats in cold water fish will help reduce the itch. Your dog needs better quality proteins in order to build healthy skin and to repair the damage. Eye health also depends on the type of fats found in fish, omega-3's.

All best wishes

Edited to add Kibbles 'n Bits ingredients list:

Ingredients
corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine.
shybabyboo22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shybabyboo22 »

thank you! I'll definitely be making the change with the food and make an appointment with the vet. thank you so much for the help!
shybabyboo22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shybabyboo22 »

i bought the california nature herring and sweet potato kind. i hope it helps. i just need to buy a bigger bag next time cause my other dog likes it as well :P
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

shybabyboo22 wrote:i bought the california nature herring and sweet potato kind. i hope it helps. i just need to buy a bigger bag next time cause my other dog likes it as well :P
That's a very good choice, and what's even better is their interest in eating it :) It will take some time to change their body chemistry, so just be sure to eliminate supermarket brand treats too, and no treats like pig ears, etc., cheeses, because those are itch-triggers too.