Recovering ears

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recovering ears

Post by jojasp5 »

My chow is getting over a nasty ear infection :cry: and, I was just wondering how I may go about keeping her ears cleaned or rather how do I clean a chows ears safely? :idea: It's been suggested to me by the vet that this may be caused by allergies. There was no yeast present in the ears /:) and, she's being treated with Baytril antibiotic. She gets an ear flush of a solution the vet gave, twice daily. I believe it's called and Alkaline solution. Also, will this antibiotic strip her stomach of the resident flora and, if so what can I do about it? Thanx for all replies.

jojasp5 8)
jojasp5
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Recovering ears

Post by Lisa_D »

Bear had gotten repeated ear infections prior to switching his food. I currently have him on Taste of the Wild Pacific stream and he has been great. I didn't have the allergy testing done but I do believe it was chicken he was allergic to.
The antibiotic can play havoc in the GI system. I will usually give a spoon or two of yogurt in with my boys food to help. I use the plain yogurt, no flavors. They love it!!! I hope your baby feels better soon

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

jojasp5 wrote:There was no yeast present in the ears /:) and, she's being treated with Baytril antibiotic.
The Baytril also treats yeast, and I'm surprised to hear that there was no yeast after the Purina Beneful diet. Vinegar/boric acid is an excellent
ear cleaner. It's available as MalAcetic Otic ear/skin cleanser, or you can make your own. More info on that in the archives. Probiotics are an important immune system supplement - see 'best of nutrition' sub-forum for Probiotics research thread.
jojasp5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jojasp5 »

Thanx for all the replies to my questions. :) Will put the advice to use. :D Oh, Kiwani how do I access the archives? I don't see a link anywhere on the chow.org website. Thank you.

jojasp5 8)
jojasp5
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

jojasp5 wrote:Oh, Kiwani how do I access the archives? I don't see a link anywhere on the chow.org website. Thank you.
Just use the "search/advanced search" function. Some of the archived threads have already been moved into the "best of..." sub-forums