Diarrhea / watery stool / followed with blood

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Diarrhea / watery stool / followed with blood

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Venus is now being weened off of the bland chicken and rice and we're integrating the can food back in her diet. Her stool is normal except I keep seeing mucous in it. It's string of white-clear mucous. So many products out there it is very dizzying. I was watching Food Detectives show and they talked about preservatives. Now this was people food, they said some are necessary to keep the food from going bad. But they said there is artificial preservatives and natural preservatives. One natural preservative they pointed out was molasses (I think) I didn't tape the show darn it, but I think thats what it was. Whether this applies to dog food I don't know.

so when I read the dog food label it should not contain corn and wheat right?

The hangup I have with dogfood companies is how long they've been in business. If they've been in business for a while then they must be doing something right. new companies=no history. or new company is an old bad company under a new name. which frightens me.

you know? and i'm ashamed to admit the cost of these purported high quality foods. so if judging the real quality means monitoring my dogs poo i guess that shall be the determining factor. huh?
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Shocker: I can't believe this I've been monitoring her poo for any signs of gastrointestinal irritation..... I found tapeworm!!!! Got her medicine... I hope this wasn't the problem this whole time. We have 0 fleas. Not one. She is quite a little stalker, vet said she could have eaten a mouse or rabbit or got into the feces. We have a fenced yard, and see rabbits all over the place. =D= Just great!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

rufnedge-2 wrote:so when I read the dog food label it should not contain corn and wheat right?
No added sugars, fillers, by-products, by-product animal fat blends, toxic preservatives, etc.

rufnedge-2 wrote:The hangup I have with dogfood companies is how long they've been in business. If they've been in business for a while then they must be doing something right. new companies=no history. or new company is an old bad company under a new name. which frightens me.
How long they've been in business doesn't really matter, if their business mainly recycles human-food waste products through dogs. Some of those well known companies were involved in the recent melamine recalls. Solid
Gold and Natura did fine.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

rufnedge-2 wrote:Shocker: I can't believe this I've been monitoring her poo for any signs of gastrointestinal irritation..... I found tapeworm!!!! Got her medicine... I hope this wasn't the problem this whole time. We have 0 fleas. Not one. She is quite a little stalker, vet said she could have eaten a mouse or rabbit or got into the feces. We have a fenced yard, and see rabbits all over the place. =D= Just great!!
It seems there was more than one thing going on, by all the symptoms. The worm poison will also affect the gut immune system, so be sure to keep up with the probiotics and fortify her immune defenses.
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

I don't know what's going on with her, now I see what looks like red worms in her stool. They look like the white tape worm...........
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

We went for walks in early morning sat and sun... venus pooped in the house "runny" with alot of gelatenous mucous in it on sunday. It had gotten hot.. similar topic to : http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13838 ----- Monday I come home from work she pooped again in the house, i let her outside and she had more diarrhea followed with blood.

It's been about 8 days that we've just weened her from a bland diet back to her old Pedigree, so we're really thinking there is something in the pedigree that is NOT agreeing with her otherwise she does great on a bland diet. Doctor wants her back on a bland diet and switch later on to a sensitive stomach food.

Doc wants to put her on prednisone temporarily - Kiwani do you have any opinions on this medicine along with the reason for it being prescibed for her symptoms or anybody else have any input?? are there more natural remedies? will this suppress her gut immune system even more??

big cry for help!

i hope she doesn't have a disease - and hope it's only a food allergie of some sort ...
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

rufnedge-2 wrote:...so we're really thinking there is something in the pedigree that is NOT agreeing with her otherwise she does great on a bland diet. Doctor wants her back on a bland diet and switch later on to a sensitive stomach food.
The Pedigree is a poor quality food with harsh preservatives and probably still contains onion powder. The hot dog treat you mentioned at the beginning of this thread, also contains harsh preservatives, onion powder, etc. These types of ingredients, in addition to whatever damage the
intestinal parasites/worm poisons caused, are probably what's irritating
her. There are other food choices, besides supermarket brands and what the vet sells.

rufnedge-2 wrote:Doc wants to put her on prednisone temporarily - Kiwani do you have any opinions on this medicine...
I have an opinion, but I won't be sharing it on the forum. All best wishes...
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Prednisone is a steriod. Steriods are often overused because their first effect is an obvious and quick resolution of a symptom. However, they seldom treat the root cause of any symptoms, can cause a host of side effects, require a gradual tapering off rather than an abrupt stop and IMHO, should be more of a last resort than a first line of defense.

Honestly, I think you have multiple issues going on here.
1. You need to have both dogs stools analyzed to determine the extent and type of parasites you have going on. And both have to be treated or they will just pass them back and forth.
2. You need to provide the dogs with higher quality food. High quality kibble is not cheap but in my experience it reduces the overall cost of caring for the chowdren. The vet visits and meds have been significantly reduced since we switched to Solid Gold Wolf King. And the chows are healthier, have nicer coats and aren't scratching all the time. I am not necessarily advocating that brand, merely a high quality food without a lot of artificial ingredients. Or if you do the proper research you can prepare their meals from fresh ingredients and acheive the same effect. I am too lazy to do that and just have to own up to that.
3. Do you have the right vet? I am concerned that your chow was treated for an intestinal disorder on more than one occasion without the vet requiring a fecal analysis. Seems like the vet is assuming the remedy without being sure of the cause of the problem. I am especially concerned given that you found one parasite and the vet still did not require you to bring in stool samples for all the dogs in the household.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Hi Sorry sometimes I miss mentioning things.. I described to my vet what I seen in the stool and they knew right away what it was. So both dogs were treated. Initially both stools were test in March, and they were neg.

I am in a major transitioning stage right now with them. Nem (who never had itching problems) is now having itching problems. Due to the fact I started him on Pedigree a month ago, having had him on Pro Plan since a puppy, he hadn't had any itching then but now it's aweful. My chow in the early 90's didn't have a problem with Pedigree but like my husband said the qualiity has probably changed..

I'm going to cook my own wet food diet through the crock pot...and provide a high quality dry. I'm trying Merrick. I chose Merrick because of the varieties they had. Not to many people here really talk about Merrick but it's been mentioned before a little. I hope it will be okay...

As far as the wet food, Venus the one with the irritable bowl symptoms, does really well on a bland diet chicken and rice. So now i'm doing research as to what other veggies she needs. She likes grass, and am now trying to figure out what I can buy that is safe as far as greens. This is a whole new realm for me, but I think it will be an equal amount of effort, than driving to the store lugging cans and driving back home. Swap traveling, for peeling veggies, not a problem.

I've got vitamin powder, and hope it's a good grade. It the nupro brand. Wish me luck.
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 62#p163962

Venus has passed away. In the past 2 months she's was doing great with the food from the vet and some chicken breast. We we're having her tested today for and enzyme deficiency test and her heart gave out. Just 2 years old. We're devastated.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:cry: this is soo very sad...my heart goes out to you...I'm so sorry.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Thank you for the sympathy.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I just read all about Venus. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Run free, Venus girl oxoxo
PaulMcKein
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PaulMcKein »

Hello guys. It's a serious issue if your dog has a watery stool followed with blood. This article will definetly help you:
http://stop-diarrhea.net/treatment/expl ... -treatment
Take care.