maxwell has a tumor.

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

maxwell has a tumor.

Post by Dogdad »

Just got back from the vet, Maxwell has a tumor under his tail. We have know about it for a while and the vet said to let him know if it gets bigger, it did. IT isn't a fatty tumor but we suspect cancerous not sure if it is maglignant or beneign . We had a blood test today, surgery is on Monday. Do you all think a histopathy is worth it? If we have one and find out it is benign. Then all is well, if it is malignant,there isn't much except chemo. The vet thinks he is older than the guestimate of 5 years old. My mom went through chemo and to be honest, I am not sure if I could do that to Maxwell. I am not trying to over react. just be realistic

David
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: maxwell has a tumor.

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, well...that took the wind out of my sails. I'm sorry to hear of the tumor. I guess I would want to know if it was cancer or not. If it is, I'd probably ask the vet for his/her opinion about the chemo, then decide for sure. I'll be thinking of you both.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Dang David, I'm so sorry to hear this. We've been through two tumor surgeries here with Samantha and I wanted to know mainly so I could set it in my mind what we were looking at. We never really received a true answer. I think it was more like "it could be cancerous" which led me to believe they really weren't, but the docs didn't want to tell me that after I've paid over $1300 for the two surgeries.

Maxwell's a strong boy and should be just fine. Sammy is much older and bounced back quickly. I was almost afraid the first time because she was bouncing around so fast. The second time kind of took it's toll on her, but she's strong too. I did tell the vet that I wasn't sure I would put her through anther surgery, but luckily I haven't found any lumps or bumps, so we haven't had to go down that path. I check her over all the time since she's prone to tumors now.

Please give Maxwell big hugs from me and my pack sends tons of purple kisses (especially from Ping and Sammy). We're all sending postive, healing thoughts your way.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh David, I am so sorry to hear that. What is it with tumors and chows? (Ok, I am just moaning - it just seems like I am hearing a lot about tumors and chows.) Mia had one - turned out benign - but scared the bejeebers outta me.

I agree with everyone and would want to know and deal with choices as they come.

I just hate hearing about this for Maxwell and I am hoping for the best for both of you.
Mia
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

David,I am sorry to hear about Maxwell's tumor :(
I would want to know whats going on but thats just me.you do what you feel is good for you and Maxwell.
I talked about Chemo with my vets at one time and they said that dogs do better than humans with Chemo.
please keep us posted and you both will be in my prayers.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thank you everyone, I have been through fatty tumors with Otono and Cancerous ones with Misty. My vet seems to think Maxwell is closer to 10 than the 5 we previously thought. The type of tumor and his teeth. Plus at home Maxwell acts and has always acted like he was older. I won't find out about his blood work until Saturday and his surgery will tell us more. I am worried but not in despair yet. thanks for all the love and support

David
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I would go with the histopathy better to know what's going on early, The tumor could be anything there's more of a chance its not cancer then is, Pekoe has a few small tumors the vet looks at and says say the same thing, keep an eye on them, he said the only time he gets concerned is if its the paws or mouth but at a certain age we all have things growing on us.

As for the Chemo, Chemo doesn't effect dogs like it does humans, no hiar loss or getting sick, when I use to take Pekoe in for radiation all kinds of dogs were walking out after chemo wagging thir tails and happy to see thier owners with no after effects, it looked like just another day at the vets. when I ask why they don't look like they had Chemo the nurse told me chemo dosn't effect dogs like humans

Pekoe walked out after Radiation you would have never known she went in. Hmm I hope they were actually doing Chemo and radiation back there and not just telling people they were.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

We all send hugs and positive thoughts to Maxwell
ImageImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If it does turn out to be cancer your right on top of University of Wisconsin Pekos Ongolgest went through UW with treatments and vaccines Thats where she Graduated from. I would go straight to them and cut out the middle man.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

David, so sorry to hear about Maxwell. I would go ahead as well. I think it would be better to know. Keeping you in my thoughts.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Oh David I am so sorry! Bless your heart! I would want to know so that you know what to expect and maybe there is the hope of good news...it isn't cancer or it hasn't spread or it's not the kind that comes back. All kinds of cancers out there...some not nearly as bad as others. I will say a prayer for you and your beautiful boy.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

All of our love and best wishes for Maxwell! We hope it is beneign. [-o| [-o|
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It's true, the farming states all have the top vet schools. I would want to know, and even if Max is 10, hw still might have 5 or more years in him. Get past the diagnosis first, then you can rest easy, or really look at your options. Take care, David.
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

We'll keep our fingers crossed that it is just something minor and that Maxwell is ok!
Natasha
and
Cue
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry to hear about Maxwell David. Sending a lot of positive thoughts for you both.

Personally, I always want to know exactly what I am dealing with so I would have it done. But, that's just me :?
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thanks again, I have decided to have it done. I just want to be sure and catch it early if it isn't all over. 3 of the 4 vets at my clinic are from UW-Madison Vet School so Hopefully We have some of the best vets around. Thanks for all your thoughts. Maxwell will get what he needs

David
chris

Post by chris »

No way... I can't even believe it. My thoughts and prayers are with you David. Give Maxwell our love!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I'm so sorry for you and sweet Maxwell... [:D]
I wanted to say that my dashchund got tumors too, and she lived long after we removed them (up to 17 years old!).
About cancer I heard it develops faster when you're young, so it might be a good thing that Maxwell is older than you thought!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Denny and Dargo send prayers and doggie pawbumps (it's a guy dog thing) :) When he gets better maybe Sir Maxwell could send some snow to the front range of Colorado. We're dry as a bone around here.

Seriously, hugs to you David. Keep us posted.

Nean
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am sorry. We will keep Maxwell in our thoughts. I think it is better to know what you are dealing with. When will you have the results?
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I hope the test results come back with good news. It sounds like Maxwell is in the best of care.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Hi Everyone, test results came back fine, nothing unusual so surgery is Monday. Hopefully it is early and it is just a tumor and that will be that. I will order the histopathy just to be sure. I noticed that Maxwell is really graying on the snout, I wonder at what age that normally happens
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I can't remember when Kody started graying but it was very slight even at 14.5 when I lost him...they all vary I guess. Please keep us updated and kiss that baby boy for me. You are in my prayers!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't think Chows gray that much with age, Pekoe is all white around her her mouth with a white tongue but thats all from radiation treatments.I wonder if she could get best in show with a white tongue. Don't think the grooming would work though.

ImageImage
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Tess developed two white spots around her mouth about two years ago, the coloring has never gone any further and she's about ten. With Maxwell being a mix though, he may start greying at a much younger age. My collie Tacia started greying shortly after I found her at about six years old and had a very white face at 15. My families first chow/shepard mix started greying at two, but she had some major health issues which has always made us wonder if that had something to do with it. Fiona's white is just her coloring. It hasn't changed in almost two years.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh