Arthritis Question

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Arthritis Question

Post by user952824 »

What are some of you giving your dogs for arthitis? Long term use that is? I bought some Vetrin tablets yesterday which worked fine for his pain but his vet said for long term use that it is not good and that it will only thin his blood out. Is there something in one pill for arthritis, pain and inflammation? I tried to search for some and there are so many so that is why I am asking to see what you guys might prefer over others. Thanks so much.
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Arthritis Question

Post by threedogjeep »

Dog Gone Pain or DGP is a good herbal remedy for arthritis pain and it does work for my Katie (except when she has a really bad day but she is 16). And I give her Valerian tincture, another holistic remedy, so she can rest when she is in pain. I started out a few years ago giving her coated, low-dose asprin (80 mg) , but not every day For my chow with hip dysplasia and bad arthritis in her hips, we give her a shot of Adequan every month and she is doing well.
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

LEO would be 3 come October and have been on various glucosamine & chondroitine since her elbow dysplasia operation at the age of one. She has arthritis in both elbows. The ortho vet recommended dasuquin or cosequin. They might have helped, but we did see a flair up, ie lameness, last winter.

At the moment she is on, instead of dasuquin or cosequin....
K9 Joint Strong 1.5scoop in the morning, 1 scoop at night .... This product is supposed to fight inflammation so that G&C would work better
http://www.k9rawdiet.com/Animal-Natural ... r-144.html

Liquid Health Level 5000 1.5tsp in the morning, 1tsp or thereabouts at night.
http://www.k9rawdiet.com/Liquid-Health- ... pr-19.html

She also gets 2TSP of salmon oil
http://www.k9rawdiet.com/Iceland-Pure-W ... r-183.html

and a capsule of probiotics or dollops of yogurt each meal.

I also add 2TSP of Preference(freezedried veggies & fruits) by Honest Kitchen for fiber as joint strong seems to have made her stool a tad too firm.

That was the gravy bit, she gets 2/3 a cup of Wolfking kibble mixed into it each meal. LEO is not too active a girl of 65lbs.

The owner of k9rawdiet has had dysplastic chows and is very knowledgable and very very helpful.
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

Thanks for the information. I read about Synovial-G3 and ordered it for my chow. It seems to have everything in it that my chow needs. One pill will take care of everything including the pain. I am giving it a shot to see if it will work. Oh well, I have over 250 asprins in my closet that I just bought for my dog for his arthritis. I will give them to the dog pound. Keep a few for myself just in case. You live and learn. Thanks again.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I think sometimes you have to try different things because all chows are different and certain things may work for some and not others.
Kai is 18 months ols and has Elbow and Hip Dysplacia and hes on Cosiquin DS.hes been doing great on that so far.
so if what you ordered doesn't seem to help,try something else.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've used Synovial-G3 in the past after someone on here recommended it. Sometimes they eat them and other times they turn their noses up. I also bought some Nupro to sprinkle on their food. It stinks a lot and once again...sometimes they love it and other times the food goes untouched for a day or so. #-o I know Jeff uses some joint care products from Dr Fosters and Smith.