Not sure whats going on with Scarlet...

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Scarlets Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Not sure whats going on with Scarlet...

Post by Scarlets Mom »

I found Scarlet about a year ago walking dowm one of the busy expressways here in Houston. Cars were just flying by her honking their horns and swearing at her, yet no one stopped to help. With a lot of praying and St Frances watching over us, I pulled over and got out of my car. I managed to dodge the traffic and scooped her up. I was amazed at how light she was (I found out later at the vets that she was 23lbs). Her ears were a bloody mess and the top halves were gone from "fly strikes". I took her into my vets and she tested positive for every parasite known . At first I tried to find her a home after she recovered, but had no luck. One person told me that they could not take her because they had children and "you can't have Chows around kids!". Little did I know that she had already found a forever home with me. She is a beautiful red girl who must have had one litter after another. I don't know how old she is but she does have some graying around her muzzle. I have done rescue for about 12 years and work mainly with Greyhounds and Pitbulls so having a Chow was new to me. She has done well this past year that I've had her and has even become a little portly weighing in at 54lbs. She is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever had.She loves the entire family but I seem to be the one she has chosen to be her person. The past month her hair is coming out by the handfuls. My poor baby looks like someone shaved parts of her, even her tail has lost a lot of fur. She also has tiny white flakes in places. Also I have found scabs on some of the places where her hair has fallen out. I feed her Evo with either a high quality canned dog food or chicken mixed in. She has an appt with the vet in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any idea on what could be going on with her? Any suggestions would be welcome!!!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Not sure whats going on with Scarlet...

Post by jacqui »

while you are at the vet with Scarlet have them check her thyroid.it sounds like it could be that and chows are prone to hypothyriodism.I have had 2 female chows and both were hypothyroid.
bless you for saving that poor girl and keep us posted.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope you get things figured out with Scarlet. I'd have bloodwork done and probably get rid of any chicken in her diet. Let us know what you find out!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Scarlets Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Scarlets Mom »

Is chicken bad for Chows? Its one of her favorite foods. I think she might have survived by eating birds. She is lightening fast when she sees one in our yard. I make it a point now to go out in the yard and clear it of birds before I let the dogs out.
Thanks for the tip about her thyroid, I will have it checked. What about supplements? I use fish oil, flax seed and other assorted supplements with my Greyhounds. I am grateful for this site. I have been unable to find any books or info on Chows.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm only chiming in because when I switched my two to Innova I was told that the EVO is too high in protein for Chows by a couple of folks. Adding chicken or canned food is more protein. I have no idea if that could be the cause of a hair/skin issue though. I do know the canned variety of it gives my two poopy butts! (diarrhea)
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Many of the things I've read about chicken say that it is sometimes what dogs have an allergy to if they have a food allergy. It's more inflammatory, I guess. I'm not an expert though. Others on here know a lot more than I do.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Bless you for rescuing the little dear!

I don't have suggestions but will keep her and you in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out ok.

Blessings
~ Sally