Signs of heat

Health topics and issues with Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Signs of heat

Post by chowfrnd88 »

The parents in my classes are always asking me how you can tell when your dog is in heat. I've given them some general info of what to look for and how long it can last and pseudo-heat from what I've read, but obviously we've never dealt with it. :D So those of you who have been "lucky" enough to go through it, would you mind sharing some of your experiences with your chows going into heat? :D Thanks!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Signs of heat

Post by Laura »

Chloe went through her one and hopefully only heat a few mos ago at exactly 6 months of age ( she will be spayed soon). I knew she was in heat because of lil red smudges on my floor! :shock: Their private part also swells so you can keep an eye on changes there. She also became hard of hearing, more stubborn, grouchy and suddenly decided the cat needed killin. All of this went on for a month and then my sweet little girl returned. Other then the cat thing and a bit of a mess it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Shug had just been neutered so other then alot of sniffing he didn't freak out either. Cats in heat are much worse! :roll:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I have two intact girls right now - Khana and Tazer (the shepherd, just turned a year old). Khana is 3 1/2 now and been in heat many times. Tazer's just been in heat once so far. Dora was intact until she was six.

There are a few symptoms that signal that a dog is in heat, and it all depends on the particular dog and what symptoms tend to show up first. Sometimes you don't know until the dog is actually bleeding because they have such a quiet start to the cycle. Others have the vulva get enlarged enough to notice prior to having any bleeding or discharge. And with others, they start licking more and/or the other dogs show an interest and want to sniff them or lick them more than normal. Since I live with all girls, I don't have a male to let me know but the girls will show a bit of reaction to the one that's in heat at times.

I usually tell my students to expect a first heat cycle from six months on, although eight months old is usually a bit more on the spot. I tell them to WATCH for those symptoms so that they're aware the bitch is actually in heat or coming into heat so that they can be careful to not let her get bred. And if they keep their bitch intact, they need to expect a cycle every 5-6 months (sometimes earlier, sometimes later depending on the bitch). If they have a hairy dog like a chow, it can be quite messy too.

The cycle generally lasts about three weeks - in Khana's case, that means bleeding/discharge for three full weeks. Tazer didn't last quite that long and was much cleaner (short-haired shepherd). Some bitches can still mate and get pregnant after that three week period, however, so I usually give mine at least five weeks total and at least two weeks after the bleeding/discharge ends before I figure they're out of heat. During the in-heat time, they are on a leash or long line 100% of the time when outdoors. Females can and will go seeking for a male when the hormones hit them. It's not worth taking a chance of an accidental breeding.

As you can tell, my whole spiel is aimed toward discouraging people from keeping their bitches intact for any length of time .. *L* .. by giving them all the facts, it encourages them to spay just to not have to deal with it all. Tazer is due to be spayed soon, may wait for another heat cycle just so she can develop a bit more. She's really immature (physically) still at this point and in shepherds it is usually best for their growth if you wait for a couple of cycles. I'm just a bit concerned that both girls will come into heat at the same time and I'll be dealing with a double mess!

Oh - and my girls have never really acted any different when in heat, as far as attitude or personality goes. But that could be because I just don't accept the old "PMS" excuse - never did for me and never have for them. I do rub Khana's belly a lot when she's in heat because it's so relaxing to her and I figure dogs may get cramps just like us humans do. But then again, she may just be sucking up to me because she's figured out I'll rub her belly more! But if I judge by personality alone, I would never know when my girls are in heat as they all just act normal.

That's probably more info than you wanted .. *L*

Melanie and the gang
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

I do believe my little Stormy just went into her first heat at 8 months old. This is my first experience with a female dog. Question, do you have yours wear the protective underwear or deal with the mess. Stormy is inside 80% of the time.

Thanks,
Shelly
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I use boys or mens briefs so that the tail can go out through the penis hole. They seem to stay on really well. I use a sanitary pad in them to soak up any blood or discharge.

But if I have them outside with me or if they're indoors but kenneled, I leave the pants off of them so that they can clean themselves and "air out" a bit. I do wipe them down regularly with baby wipes and even bathe the britches area if needed, but I've found that allowing them a certain amount of time to deal with it is best (and probably healthiest).

If you have a dog that really bleeds who has a lot of hair on the back legs, you may want to take sections of hair and ponytail them aside with the rubber band type holders. It looks kind of funny but it helps keep that hair from getting matted with blood and makes for a much easier clean-up.

Khana has started cleaning herself more the last couple of days, and the girl are wanting to sniff her more, so I think she's about ready to start into her heat cycle. What fun! Glad we didn't enter any of the upcoming shows.

Melanie and the gang
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

We live in an apartment with Coco and I just spent 3 1/2 weeks following her with a cleaning spray in one hand, and tissue paper in the other, to clean the wood floor after her. Not funny really... :roll:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

I'm only two days into this and I have to agree, no fun running around after her with cleaning spray in one hand, and paper towel in the other, to clean the wood floor after her.

Shelly
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

scrpbk1 wrote:I'm only two days into this and I have to agree, no fun running around after her with cleaning spray in one hand, and paper towel in the other, to clean the wood floor after her.

Shelly
*LOL* ... that's why I go with the boys underwear and the sanitary pads. I don't want Khana dripping all over (especially as she sleeps on the bed with me!). It's a pain in the butt to have to change it, and to remember to take it off before letting her out (which I've forgotten to do a time or two, and then she comes in with wet drawers or even worse - filled drawers!).

One more heat cycle for Tazer and that's it, she'll be spayed even if she doesn't fill out anymore. Khana may be spayed if I decide not to show her in conformation this winter. And then I'll have all hormone-free dogs! WooHoo!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
... who will be taking care of Mom's dog in early July for a week .. he was neutered a few weeks ago, is about two years old .. and hopefully he will have forgotten and/or the hormones will be gone enough that he won't react to the girls being in heat!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Jazzy had 1 maybe 2 heats (I only noticed 1 very short and minor heat, found just a couple spots to clue me, but the vet thought she probably had 2). So I didn't ever need to use anything or have the clean up problem thank goodness! I also got lucky because she was outside a lot during that time and I was soooo fortunate to not have had an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy because I didn't realize she was in heat.

My daughter didn't think of boys underwear, but purchased a "doggie diaper." These have a hole for the tail to go through and holds sanitary pads in place, goes under, around and up and holds together with velcro. Easy for getting on and off when the dog wants to go in and out a lot.
~ Sally